Chap.21

To sum up what happened previously in WFH - Isra and Kashif (the husband) get into a little argument and Isra finds out that Jamal (bad guy) has been in contact with Kashif. Isra receives a phone call from Jamal and they meet up at a park. Jamal asks Isra to get information about Marc's (the boss) father. When Isra goes home her and Kashif confess their feelings to each other. - The end.

------

"I'll see you later," I smile at Kashif as I slip my shoes on. He strolls towards me; on one hand he held a bowl of cereal and the other his phone. Gosh he's lucky. He is still in his pajamas while I am ready to leave for work.

"You look extremely jealous," he points out.

"That's because I am," I mutter but I guess he heard me as he lets out a low chuckle.

I can only stare at him until he had stopped laughing but he seemed to be hesitant about something. Before I can ask what's wrong, however, he has already placed his lips on my cheek. The kiss only lasts for a split second before he pulls away, smiling at me. I return the smile and we remain in this position for a moment before I clear my throat.

"Er, I should be going," I say, looking at my phone. It wasn't that I had to necessarily be at work yet, well according to me anyway. But there was something I needed to do before I was overloaded with work from Marc.

--
--
--

"That's not necessary," I say, as Dayyaan opens the passenger door to his car. "I can take the bus, honestly."

"I'll drop you, it's not a big deal." I had only gone to the office to give Marc his coffee because his sorry ass couldn't do that himself apparently. Pathetic. It was when I was leaving that I had bumped into Dayyaan, who was also leaving the building, and since then had been insisting on giving me a ride to my destination.

I gave up trying to politely decline and shrugged, oh what the heck, "fine, go ahead; waste your gas and drive me to Neha's place."

From the back I can see his shoulders moving up and down as he let out a laugh. I slide into the passenger seat and wait for him to get buckled up.

"You know I'm not going to pay you back right?" I say pointedly.

"This isn't a taxi Isra, think of it as a ride from your older brother," he grins at me briefly before returning his focus on the road ahead.

We sit quietly for a moment before I decide to dig up some information,"so what's with the absent parents?"

"Huh? You mean Marc's parents?"

"Yeah..." The word lingers in the air for a moment, from the corner of my eye I can see Dayyaan straightening his back and tensing.

Huh, sensitive topic?

"They're not dead are they?" I find myself asking, my voice coming out as a shriek.

Dayyaan chuckles but it is an unfamiliar one, almost forced, "not both...just his mother."

My mouth dries up, "Marc's mother is dead?" I manage to choke out.

I don't get an answer from Dayyaan but his silence is enough, "I'm sorry if I came off insensitive... I didn't- I didn't know-"

"Of course you didn't," his tone is soothing, " no need to apologize - especially not to me - it's not your fault...it's nobody's fault. We both know  that when it's your time, it's your time."