Chap.23:

Marc

Marc didn't understand why Isra was mad. Well, she claimed she wasn't mad but from his own personal experience with Melissa and Anaya, he knew. She was mad.

"Isra, I can practically see the steam leaving your ears." He glanced over at her, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Marc, for the thousandth time. And I'm wearing a hijab?"

"That's how mad you are," his attempts to lighten up the mood are to no avail as Isra just shakes her head, clearly not wanting to keep the conversation going.

Frustrated himself, Marc brings the car to a stop. This got her attention, "what are you doing?"

"I want to know what's wrong, and we're not leaving until you tell me."

"That's funny, you're funny," she starts grabbing her bag and positions her hand on the door handle, "but public transport isn't dead."

Marc locks the doors.

"Remember when I said you were funny? I was being sarcastic."

"Look, if I have done something wrong, or if you've just started your period, you need to let me know because all I know is you were not in a shitty mood before we got to my father's house but you are now."

Isra's face was flushed, "please tell me why I'd tell you if I was on my days? And you really want to know?"

"Yes, for god's sake!"

"Because when your dad was standing there slandering muslim women and Islam, you just stood there. You just stood there as if it meant nothing to you, you just stood there as if it was okay, you just stood there as if you felt the same way! And as much of a prick I think you are, I didn't think you were like this-

"Wait, you think I didn't say anything because I agreed with him?"

"Didn't you?" She throws her hands up. "I don't see why you'd say nothing if you didn't."

"I didn't say anything because I'm used to it, and because I'm tired of trying to get through to him," Marc's anger was rising now. Isra had no right to question him when a. Marc's father wasn't directing her and b. She had no idea what Marc has had to tolerate when it came to his father and c. That was his father, a man he looked up to and loved.

"Did you think even for a second about how I felt in that situation?" She unlocked the door and let herself out, making sure to slam the door in the process.

Marc watched as she pulled out her phone and called someone. The conversation didn't last long, and it seemed as though she was the only one who said anything. Marc assumed that she had called her husband to come and pick her up, but that didn't seem to be the case as he saw her heading towards the train station.

Of course, he followed her. He felt that he had to. Had this been Anaya or Melissa, he would wait for them come to him when their anger had subsided. But it was different with Isra; she wasn't a particularly moody person. So when she was feeling anything but happy, it was cause for concern.
However Isra wasn't impressed to see Marc had followed her. That much was evident in the way she ignored him as if he was a speck of nothingness.

"Isra", if Marc got a pound for the amount of times he had called out to Isra he'd be able to make Anaya's pocket money.

"Leave me alone."

"How are you going to get home?"

Isra stopped in her tracks and narrowed her eyes at Marc. She gestured at the train tracks. "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck - what is it?"