Chapter Twenty-Three

America's point of view

I know something is up because he didn't say 'tugging my ear' back when I said it over the phone. Also King Jax was being very distant and vague with what was happening.

I need to figure this out. I really hope Maxon is okay.

I don't think I can live without him.

There is a knock on my door. I jump a bit. I'm trying to figure out what is going on. So I don't want any distractions.

"Unless it is urgent, please come back later." I say through the office door.

The door opens. Who would have the nerve-

Maxons point of view

"Unless it is urgent, please come back later." I hear.

She must be worried.

She doesn't know it is me.

I open the door and she looks up with an annoyed glance.

Her face softens, and she jumps out of the chair and runs towards me. She pulls me into a huge hug.

"Maxon!! What happened?? Are you alright?" She said quickly.

She lifted my arms and checked for injuries. I couldn't help but chuckle.

She must have seen the bruise where the cuffs were and her movement went still. She looked up at me. Her eyes were begging me to say it wasn't real and I was okay.

"America-" I began.

"Who did this?" She asked sternly.

She is very loyal and protective of people she loves.

"Maxon. What happened while you were in. Ew Asia? Did King Jax do this?" She asks.

I nod. I don't really know what else to say.

"Tell me everything." She says.

I do.

And when I tell her about him wanting our first boy she lost it.

"What? Is he insane? He is lucky we don't send troops and have him killed right now for having you in a cell for four days! In fact I don't know why we are standing here right now? We should be planning a retaliation!" She says.

"Amer-"

"No. I will not stand here and act as if nothing happened. He has killed so many of our people. We know he has ties with the southern rebels. Maxon, they are the people who killed your parents! Are we just supposed to let them get to us too?" She says.

This is true. They were behind the attack that killed my parents and our friends. Hell, I was even shot. Luckily, I survived, but so many others weren't as lucky.

"Where do we start?" She asks.

"We start by taking a breath. We will sleep on this and come back tomorrow. We have a lot of emotions about this right now. And it will give us time to be with each other." I say.

She nods her head.

"I just want it to be safe here. We can't raise our children here if it isn't safe." She says.

"I know. We won't let them get away with this. But like I said, let's come back to this tomorrow, so we can't think more rationally.
We can have a meeting with the advisers, and talk it out." I say.

She nods.

We go to bed. I miss falling asleep with America.

America's point of view

I wake up and feel Maxon. I blink to make sure I'm not dreaming. I missed waking up with Maxon. I smile.

He looks so peaceful in his sleep. I kiss him on the cheek, and his eyes open.

"I missed you so much," he says.

"I missed you too."

"We have a meeting with the advisors today, so we need to get ready." I say.

He grunts.

We get up, and I go into the queen suite to get ready for the day.

When I walk back in he isn't in the room.

"MAXON!!" I yell.

I feel someone grab my arm.

I turn around quickly.

"Hey, America, it's me. I'm right here. It's Maxon." He assures me.

I pull him in a tight hug.

"You scarred me." I mumble into his shirt.

He rubs a hand on my back.

"Let's get down to the meeting to fix this." He says.

Comments?

Thanks for reading
Xoxo