Chapter ten

America's point of view

It's been three weeks since my wisdom teeth removal. I can't believe some of the things Maxon told me I did.

Tonight we are having a huge ball in honor of our 200th year of being a country. All of our friends will be here, as well as royal families and leaders from all over.

I'm in my suite getting ready. Maxon and I share his room, but I still have my conjoined suite.

I'm in a deep navy blue gown that dips out at my waist. It is very queen like. Anne and Lucy are finishing up my make up. My hair is put up.

Once I'm done, I walk into our room. Maxon is fixing his tie. He looks at me and smiles.

I can't believe I'm not even 20 and we are running a country!

I walk over to him.

"Hello, my dear," he says smiling.

I glare at him. He chuckles.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"Yes. You?" He asks.

I nod my head. He holds out his arm and we walk towards the ballroom.

When we walk in everyone stops and looks at us. I take a deep breathe. Soon we are surrounded by friends and everyone is mingling again.

Marlee walks up to us.

"Hey! America this is lovely!" She says.

"Thank you," I reply.

A girl with deep brown hair walks up to us. Maxon smiles. Who is she?

"Maxon! Hey!! The palace looks as beautiful as ever!" She says happily.

"Hello Daphne," he says.

This is Daphne. I learned about her during the selection. She and Maxon were friends before the selection and she told him she loved him.

"Is this Queen America I've heard so much about?" She asks jokingly.

I smile, "That's me."

"From what I've heard, you two are doing an amazing job ruling. Congratulations," she says.

"Thank you," I say.

"Oh! I have to go speak to the Finnish king and queen. I will be back, alright darling?" Maxon says.

I nod my head. He walks away and it is just Daphne and I.

She walks towards me.

"I need to ask you something,"she asks.

"Yes?" I ask.

She looks around for a moment. She takes a breathe.

"Do you love him?" She asks.

I am shocked, "Excuse me?" I ask.

"If he wasn't king would you still want to be with him," she asks.

"Of course. I love him! No matter what! I don't care if he was king or not. I'd honestly rather us be normal but if being king and queen means we get to be together it is worth it," I say.

She has a sad smile. "Thank you," She says.

What? For what?

"At least he is happy," she says. "I'm going to get going now," she adds.

"It's alright, you can stay," I say.

She shakes her head, " I can't. But I'll be happy knowing that he has found someone worthy of him."

"Congratulations on everything," she adds.

She walks out.

Maxon walks over to me and I am pulled from my thoughts.

"May I have this dance?" He asks.

I smile, "You can have all of them."

Thanks to loolivvy for the idea of Daphne coming.

Comments?      Ideas?

Thanks for reading
Xoxo