Chapter Twenty-Two

America's point of view

What did Maxon mean when he said he wished he could tug his ear back? Something must be wrong.

I have to get to the bottom of this.

Maxons point of view

I hope she got my message and knows something is wrong.

I've been here for four days now. Aspen is in the cell next to me so at least there is someone to talk to.

I'm so happy that I got to talk to America on the phone. Just hearing her voice calmed my nerves.

I just have to wait now. I know she has to know something is up.

I hear a noise. It's the door.

I look over and see a figure approaching.

It's princess Lucy.

What is she doing here?? She approaches and holds a finger up, to signal to stay quiet.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

"I am here to let you out. My father will probably lose it when he finds out, but this is the right thing to do." She says.

Is she joking? Is she really going to let me out?

"Do you have the key?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Do you have the one for the cell next to me. I can't leave my friend behind." I say.

We are more of acquaintances, but that isn't important. I can't leave Aspen here.

"I have the keys for both." She says.

"Great. Are you sure? You will probably get hell for this." I say.

I know I should just let her let me escape, but her father is definitely going to lose it and I want her to be sure that this is her choice.

"I know. Don't worry about that." She says.

She is about May's age. She is so young to be worrying about things like this.

"If you don't mind me asking, but why are you doing this. I'm definitely not complaining, but you are going to get in huge trouble and you don't owe me anything." I ask.

"I hate my father. He doesn't take me seriously. I know about the deal he tried to make. He doesn't think I can rule this country. You are smart for rejecting the deal. He is manipulative and cruel. All he wants is power and he won't stop until he has it." She says.

"And this isn't right. He cannot lock someone up for having common sense and rejecting his horrible deal. I cannot just act like nothing is happening. Your wife is probably worried sick by now. And I owe him nothing either and at least you are a good person." She adds.

"Thank you for this." I say.

She unlocks the door.
She takes the cuffs off.

I run over to Aspens cell.

"Aspen! Princes Lucy is letting us escape. Get ready to run once you are out," I say.

He looks surprised, but nods his head.

She unlocks him and takes off his cuffs.

"So how do we escape from here?" I ask.

"Follow me. There is an exit for guards and such right down this hall. There is a car outside with a driver to take you to a plane I have set up for you." She says

"Thank you. I cannot thank you enough. And if it means anything I think you will be a great ruler." I say.

"Thank you." She says.

"When you take rule, get I touch with me so we can make plans for peace between our countries. I cannot do business with your father again, but you seem reasonable and understanding. That is what your country needs." I say.

"I will be in touch." She says.

We say goodbye and Aspen and I run out and get into the black car waiting to take us to the plane.

The drive isn't too long, and it will be worth it once I'm back home with America.

"Are you alright?" I ask Aspen.

"As good as I can be all things considered." He says.

"I'm sorry about all this." I say.

He shakes his head.

"I'm the guard. I'm the one who should be sorry for letting you even get in that mess. I really didn't know what was happening. They brought me to a guest room to unpack and then I didn't hear from you for two days so I knew something was wrong." He says.

"It's fine. America told me not to come in the first place. She told me it would be a trap." I say.

"I just couldn't take his offer." I add.

"What was it?" He asks.

"He wanted our first boy so he could rule New Asia. I can't promise him my first boy. And I refuse to. Not to mention America would kill me." I joke.

"That's ridiculous. I can't believe he thought you would give away your first boy." He says.

"Me neither. I know we need peace between our countries but after this....I don't think that will happen any time soon,"I say.

"Who know what America will do once he finds out we were both in cells for four days." I add.

He chuckles, "She might march over there herself and make him regret it." He jokes.

I chuckle.

I'm glad he and I can get along now. After the selection I thought I would hate him, but he isn't all too bad.

We get on the plane, and for the first time in days, I allow myself to sleep.

I can't wait to see America.

Just a plane and car ride away.

Comments?

Thanks for reading
Xoxo