Chapter Eighteen

America's point of view

I haven't spoken to Maxon since our argument earlier today. I'm about to go to bed and I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

I hear the door open. A couple minutes later the bed shift. Maxon.

"America-"

"Maxon, go to bed. I'm sleeping." I mumble.

"I know you are mad-"

"Mad? No. Confused? Furious? Disappointed? Yes." I say.

He sighs, "I understand where you are coming from, but I have to do this. I have to go."

"Maxon, go to sleep. We can talk tomorrow." I say.

"Goodnight," He says.

I just close my eyes and drift off.

"I love you," He says.

"I love you too," I mumble before going to sleep.

No matter how mad I am I will always love Maxon.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

When I wake up Maxon isn't here. Figures.

I go to the queen suit to get dressed.

I go to our conjoined offices. Maxon is there working on something.

"Maxon, I really don't want to fight with you, but I don't think it is a good idea." I say.

He looks up at me, "I know. I really do understand...I just...I have to do this."

"I won't be able to rule properly not knowing where you are or if you're okay," I say.

"The advisors are here to help," He says.

"Yeah, because they listen to me so much." I reply.

"Maxon, are you sure you have to do this. This isn't worth the risk if you aren't sure about this."

"I'm sure that this might be our only chance at peace. That I at least have to try." He says.

"Maxon...I just...I don't know what to think."

"I know. It's okay. I will be alright. I'll have guards and I'll be safe." He says.

I know who I need to talk to.

"Maxon, I'll see you later." I say.

"Alright, I love you," He says.

I walk out of our offices. I walk around until I find the person I'm looking for.

"Aspen." I say.

"Yes?"

"Can I ask for a huge favor?" I ask.

"Depends.." he jokes.

"Shut up and listen." I say.

"This is serious." I add.

"Okay, what is it?"

"Maxon has to go to New Asia to maybe make peace with the king and I am really against the idea but he thinks it's brilliant and he is so put on it and I really hate arguing with him but it isn't safe there, and he could get hurt and I don't know what I would—"

"America, you're ranting," He says.

"Right, sorry. Can you go with him. As a guard. I would just feel so much better because you are really the only person I could trust with someone I love." I say.

"It's okay if you say no. I know we aren't a couple and you have Lucy here so you don't have to do me any favors but I would really appreciate this," I say.

"Just because I have Lucy doesn't mean we stopped being friends. You are one of my best friends. Of course I will go with him as a guard," he says.

"Really? You'll go? Aspen thank you so much!" I say.

"It's no problem." He says.

"Well I should go talk to him. I owe you." I say.

I run back to our offices.

"Maxon?"

"Yes?"

I sigh, "If you really think this is the best thing to do I won't stop you, but Aspen is going with as a guard. I would feel so much better."

"Thank you for understanding," he says.

"You better call or write every day." I say with a point of my finger.

"Of course," He says.

"When will you leave?"

"Well we could leave for tomorrow. I just need to go pack right now."

"Okay, I'll help you." I say.

"I'm still worried, but if this is what you have to do then I will support you."

"Thank you." He says.

"How long will you be gone?"

"Probably a week."

I frown.

"Hey, it's only a week and I'll call or write every day." He says.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Comments?

Thanks for reading
Xoxo