Chapter 9 - The Main Attraction

The next morning I woke up and walked into the bathroom to look at the mirror. My bruises were healing up nicely as well as my wounds, I was definitely on the mend.

After eating breakfast, I picked up my satchel and put it over my shoulder. I picked Pika up in my arms and left my flat, I locked the door behind me and left the block of flats to walk to Fairy Tail.

I stepped through the doors and heard more noise than usual within the guild. A crowd of the male members of the guild were crowded around the notification board and were the ones creating all the fuss.

I walked over to Mira at the bar to see what all the commotion was about.

"Hey Akari." Mira smiled.

"Hey Mira. What is all the fuss about over there?" I asked.

"Oh, well Fairy Tail is holding a competition tomorrow, everyone is really excited." Mira replied.

"I see... it's the first I've heard of it, when was it announced?" I questioned.

"This morning. A poster was pinned on the notification board." Mira pointed towards the crowd.

"What? That's a bit sudden isn't it?" I asked with confusion.

"Master insisted that everything was arranged at once. He's very eager and excited about it." Mira said sweetly.

"Really? Sounds interesting." I said thoughtfully.

I looked around the rest of the guild hall and noticed that hardly any of the female members were there. Intrigued, I left the bar and walked over to the crowd of men to try and get a peek at the poster.

"Morning Akari." Macao said to me as I fought my way through the crowd.

"Oh, hey Macao." I replied as I turned towards him.

"Are you going to enter the competition tomorrow? I think you would have a really good chance of winning." Macao asked.

"Yeah, you'd be a shoo-in." Wakaba added.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yeah." They replied.

I pushed myself to the front of the crowd and looked at the poster. It read:

'Fairy Tail Swimsuit competition.
Female Fairy Tail members dress up in your best and alluring swimsuits and put on a spectacle.
The winner wins 500,000 Jewel and a section in Sorcerer Weekly.
The competition takes place tomorrow at South Gate Park.
Good luck!'

"A swimsuit contest?!" I said with shock.

"You don't seem very happy about it." Pika replied.

"That's because I thought the competition might've been a fight or something." I sighed.

"You are entering, right Akari?" Bickslow asked.

"Well... I don't know. Look, I really don't think it's my thing, and besides I've read Sorcerer Weekly and the fact is that Mira is in there a lot as well as other girls prettier than me." I explained.

"You are beautiful Akari!" Some of the men were shouting out.

All the men around me got even more excited and were eager for me to participate. The pros of this competition is that I could get a whole load of money, as well as putting my name out there in Sorcerer Weekly and hopefully help Howling Dragons gain more positive attention. The cons however, is that I would be objectifying myself and getting lots of unwanted attention. Tough decision.

"I presume all the girls aren't here because, they're getting ready for the competition." I stated.

"Yeah I think so. None of them said anything but, they came in this morning, saw the poster and then dashed out of the door again." Macao explained.