Chapter 6 - A High Voltage Job Request

The mayor invited us into his office to discuss the job request he sent out, although, he got sidetracked very quickly, much to mine and Laxus' dismay.

"I'm so glad you came out to help Laxus, I was hoping it would be you since you are very powerful." The mayor clapped excitedly.

Laxus soaked up all the glory and sat back in the sofa with his left leg crossed over his right leg and his arms spread along the arm of the sofa and the back of the sofa with a subtle smile on his face. I was sat next to him with my arms crossed and my left leg crossed over my right knee. I rolled my eyes and couldn't help but grin at his ego rising to the surface.

"Well I try my best, I just do what needs to be done." Laxus said arrogantly.

"I can tell. However, I wasn't expecting you to bring such a beautiful young lady with you, definitely an upgrade from last time I must say." The mayor said delightfully.

After this comment I couldn't hold back the red tinting my cheeks, or the shocked expression which came naturally. I turned my head away from Laxus quickly and patted my cheeks, somehow thinking that it would make the embarrassment go away. I wasn't the only one who was feeling awkward though, as I looked back at Laxus he was no longer in his relaxed position, he was sat up like a pole and also looked a little stunned.

"She's a new member of the Fairy Tail guild and she's quite skilled, she needed money which is why she tagged along. I mean we're just colleagues that's all, same for the last time I was here, the lady I was with is like family to me, nothing special in particular." Laxus stammered quickly.

"What a shame! Is she taken? If she isn't then I wouldn't mind taking her out for a meal." The mayor beamed as he turned up in front of me, taking my hand in his.

Laxus shuffled away from me and looked quite fearful, I've never seen him that worked up, the situation was pretty awkward though. I was a statue, this weird little man was holding my hand and I couldn't do anything, I wanted to slap his hand away but, I couldn't move. I got so panicky that I sent an electric current to the mayor's hand accidentally, causing him to jump back. I didn't know what to say so, I stayed silent.

"Ooh that's quite a shock!" The mayor said excitedly before coming towards me again.

I quickly looked at Laxus worriedly and mouthed 'SOS' to him so he could save me from this situation. Laxus still looked quite shocked and didn't know what to do. He mouthed back to me 'slap him'. I couldn't do that, he's a client. Wait. I'm not here to rendevouz with a middle aged pervert. Client or no client, it's payback time.

I grabbed the Mayor's hand firmly and charged up the lightning inside of me. Yellow bolts were beginning to charge off of me and I finally released the lightning energy, focusing it on the Mayor. No real damage was done, apart from the Mayor looking like he had just been grilled on a barbeque. The Mayor stepped back slowly with his hand still held out.

I crossed my arms again and looked at the Mayor sternly.

"I take that as a no?" The Mayor asked in shock.

"There are several reasons why me and you would not work out but, I don't have the time to explain. Just know that I am here strictly on business and nothing more." I said angrily.

"I'm so sorry miss. I shouldn't have been so forward." The Mayor apologised.

"You shouldn't have been forward at all. Next time I'll zap you with a higher voltage, and don't take that warning lightly." I said sternly.

"I understand. I'm very sorry." The Mayor apologised again.

"That's better. Now where were we?" I asked with a smile.