REST IN PEACE

I saw Spear falling to his knees and then his head touched the ground with a thud after he gave us a final defeated look. His face no longer held the fury and power that it did a few moments ago. I saw the hole created on his forehead by Rachel's shot from which the blood was now oozing. My mind had not yet properly understood what had just happened when Rachel fell backwards and I caught her just before she hit the ground.

"No!" I screamed as my tears fell on her face.

"Wake up. Rachel you're not supposed to die. I came back to save you."

I brought my face close to her's, but couldn't hear her breathing. There were no chest movements, no screams, no words. She just laid there. Static.

There was blood all over her body. It seemed like all the blood flowed out of her like a mad river. I couldn't breath in the midst of crying. The lump in my neck made it impossible for me to swallow. My cries got louder as I pressed Rachel's head against my chest. I wanted to shout, to scream, to shake her and ask her to wake up but I found myself only shaking her as my voice got lost somewhere in my throat. Sweat covered me in frizzling cold.

Rachel was dead.

I wiped my tears from the cuffs of my jacket that was now a screaming proof that something horrible had happened as it was covered with blood.

Looking at her, I knew she was no longer in there. Her face no longer showed misery, only peace. No problem, no more sadness can reach her now. She needed to be saved, and now in death, she was saved.

"It's okay. It's over. You're safe now." I whispered in a hoarse voice as I closed her eyes with a shaking hand.

I slowly got up. First on my knees and then finally on feet. As if energy was slowly spreading in my body in parts. Two dead bodies before me. Hell and Heaven. Two entirely different places and yet I was in both of them at the same time.

Heaven- Rachel wouldn't feel anything now.

Hell- Rachel wouldn't feel anything now.

"Hazel?" I turned as a shiver ran through me.

Laura stood there in her beautiful white dress staring at me blankly.

"I'm sorry. You tried but there was no way to save her." She spoke in barely audible voice.

"What?" I frowned. Did she know this already?

"Death is fixed. You just cannot change that. The same bullet can pass through two people and yet there is a possibility that one of them may not die if he's not meant to die then and there even if they pass through same parts." 

Words left me as I tried to make out of what she had just said.

"But you made her believe that she wasn't alone. She died in the arms of a loved one and there is nothing more she could've wished for." She continued.  

I nodded.

"Time for your next deed..." She began but I interrupted her.

"I know. Give me fifteen minutes. I need to do something important."

She nodded, granting me permission.

I looked down at Rachel's body and then towards his before making my way back to the house.

How in a moment something so alive could be so dead. Death would forever remain a phenomena that human mind cannot accept, cannot solve. We live a life that we are to leave behind, in a body that is to be buried under the soil while our souls go beyond the skies.

I took off my jacket before I entered, wiping my hands and settling my hair. I checked the time. 5 minutes past 12. I opened the door and it seemed like I had entered a parallel universe. Like this door was magical and beyond it was pure happiness while outside, two lives lost their spark. Sadness and emptiness.

I made way through the crowd and collided with Mason's back.

"Where were you?" He asked.

I ran my tongue over my lips and swallowed.

"What happened?" He asked further before I could answer, tugging some hair behind my ear.

I wanted to scream, to hug him tight and tell him that my heart is about to explode.

"Nothing." I said and walked past him.

"Hazel!" I heard him calling.

"I've been looking all over the place for you." Linda scowled.

"I- I went for a- a walk." I managed to spurt out a few words.

"What is wrong?" She gave me a worried look. I shook my head. I looked at Mason who now stood beside me and tried to smile but my lips failed me.

I knew Abby, the famous photographer of school, had prepared a video of some of the memorable moments. So there had to a screen for it's display. I looked up and found a projector hanging and on it's left was the computer operating it.

Rachel had taken half of her revenge. She told me Spear and Veronica had ruined her life. So I had to take half of the revenge for her. I had to make sure Veronica gets what she deserves. She needs to be in complete peace, at least after death.

"Hazel?" Linda called.

"What are you doing?" Mason inquired. Both of them standing a few feet away from me.

"You'll know. Give me a minute." I said.

I walked up to the computer and turned it on. Inserting the usb, I could feel fear and anxiety filling the all the hollow spaces of my body.

I did everything that had to be done and when came the time to press enter, I felt something stopping me. Was it fear? Apprehension?

Whatever it was, revenge always wins. I pressed and the video started.

Everybody started gathering around the screen and I began moving slowly away from it. I saw Mason and Linda who too were fully engrossed in the video.

The video began and I stepped outside, closing the backdoor behind me. I saw Laura waiting for me. I stood leaning against it for a moment with eyes closed.

I heard Veronica scream "Who did this? Turn it off!"

I smiled and whispered Rest in peace Rachel.

"Ready?" Asked Laura.

"Yes." I replied with a satisfied smile.