BROKEN LITTLE WORLD

"It's okay. We can go to my place." I muttered in a low voice.

"Bitch." Rachel commented before storming out of the kitchen.

"Hey language." Screamed the woman but we were already out of her sight.

"What just happened?" I asked as I grabbed Rachel's arm.

"Nothing." She expressionlessly responded.

"I want a proper explanation." I rubbed my hands together to fight against the raw weather. The cold wind making the tree branches dance.

"I have none to offer." She replied, shrugging her shoulder and continued walking ahead. The tip of her nose was red while mine was numb.

"I'm trying to have a serious conversation here." I yelled loud enough to make her turn.

"I'm subtly trying to avoid it."

I paused and tucked a curl behind my ear. "Who was that woman?"

She rolled her eyes. "A witch."

"Who talks about their mother like that." I frowned.

"Well since she's my foster mother so technically she's not my mother plus she's horrible."

I drew my bottom lip between my teeth as my eyes narrowed. This was unexpected.

"Your-your real parents?" I inquired.

"Dead." She took no time to reply.

While I froze there with my mouth wide open in an expression of stunned surprise.

"I'm so..."

"Sorry?" She interrupted me. A corner of her mouth lifted upwards. "Don't be."

Sadness clouded her face and I just stood there watching her.

"Will you take the lead now or do we just keep standing here in the middle of the road?" Her brows snapped together.

The walk to my house was mostly silent. I was trying to soak in the fact that she had no family or friends. Abused at school and home. This was going to be harder than I thought.

"It's 3. We only have 2 hours." She stated while taking off her coat as we entered my room.

"Why? you have plans?" I asked making myself comfortable as I laid down on my bed. She decided to sit on my computer chair.

"I-I have no one to make plans with." She answered, observing the family photos on my walls.

"Then?" I pouted.

"I work at the Wendy's downtown." I nodded in acknowledgment.

So the witch doesn't give her money too.

I googled "the easiest way to make solar cells."

"So we're gonna need a copper sheet, transparent CD case, electric wires, glue and a bunch of other stuff we probably don't have at home." I sighed and looked at her but she stared at something distant, too lost in her own world.

"Rachel?" I called out for her.

"Yeah? sorry. What did you say?" She blinked, trying to refocus.

"I said we don't have the items."

"Lets work on our presentation first, then. I'll get the stuff on my way back. We can start the project tomorrow."

I wanted to ask more, to know every reason that drove her to suicide, but I decided to take it slow.