15

Luna's POV

I heard him say," I thought you didn't have a daughter" and glanced back at the woman, her face was white except for her flushed cheeks. What is Julius talking about? The goddess hung her head in shame before speaking again to Julius. "There was a brief period where I refused my duties and traveled to a different land. That's where I met Dakota, he was the most kind and considerate person I'd ever met..." I watched as her face shown with happiness. "But I couldn't escape my duties forever, so I was forced to move back to the kingdom on the life of Dakota and our daughter." She frowned and turned to me. "I had to cause amnesia for Dakota, we aren't allowed to let the humans know of our kind, and we are absolutely are not supposed to mate with them. What I did was in violation of many rules but since I was able to erase his memories of me, I was still allowed to live. It was a punishment for me to return and continue as if nothing had happened, only a select few actually knowing where I had been. Since time moves slower in this realm, I wasn't actually gone long enough for many to take notice of my absence. I am so sorry," she reached her hand out to touch my cheek. "My daughter".

My heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. "..mom?" my voice croaked, tears welling up. It seemed her voice was unable to work properly either, she only nodded. I let out a sob as I flew into her arms. I had a million thoughts running through my brain. Most of them shock that I met my mother. I'd never dreamed this would happen.

"You are so beautiful, I knew you would become a strong woman." My mom whispered in my ear. I was going to say thank you but was interrupted by a noise. I turned around in fear to find Kailani towering over us, slowly clapping his hands. "The truth is finally out. Way to go, V. And you," he turned toward Julius and smirked. "You just happened to witness the scene. How lucky." his face twisted as he scoffed in disgust. "It was all perfect. Except the fact that you're leaving out a small detail. It was me she ran away from; I was the one she was supposed to have an heir with, not some low-life human scum." Kailani turned to me. "You're really just a mutt. You shouldn't even be allowed to rule the kingdom, it should be me, a man for once. Women shouldn't have the right to rule, especially if they are going to use that power to cheat in a different land."

I stood up, not sure where this was going, but I was ready to take care of my kingdom, I couldn't let them down. "She may have done that, but she was young and in love!" I yelled at him, my fists balled up at my sides. Glaring at me, Kailani spoke, "Yes, but she still did it. There are no excuses". "I'm sure she apologized, right?" I asked turning to my mother. Her eyes were wide, and she nodded. "See?" I told Kailani, "You shouldn't punish everyone for one person's mistakes. Plus, that mistake is in the past".

"That's where you're wrong," Kailani said angrily. "This doesn't just affect my past. It affects my future as well. Veondra was unable to bear me anymore children, so I would have never had any of my own. Why do you think I kidnapped her? I knew if the Goddess disappeared, they would start the search for a new one. Then I could manipulate her into marrying me and bearing me a child. Funny how it just so happened to be you".

"I would never stoop that low. Your child would be poison to the world, we don't need any more Undines like you." I spat back at him, bitterly. The nerve. To think he actually thought I'd bear him a daughter after finding out his real personality. Suddenly Kailani's hands were around my neck, pushing me hard against the wall. "You think you are so much better than everyone else?" Kailani growled in my ear. "News to you, you are a bitch just like every other woman out there who wants to control everything. You should have just stayed out of it and become my pretty little mate." he loosened his grip as he picked up a strand of my hair and twirled it around his finger before caressing my face.

"Never!" I shouted and pushed him back with all my might. He stumbled backward, looking angrier than I had ever seen him. His eyes were practically glowing with madness as he collected himself and started toward me. I was just about to cover my eyes in terror, but out of the corner of my eye I noticed a red streak as Julius ran toward Kailani, taking him down. The men hit the floor with a thud, Julius straddling and pinning Kailani to the damp floor.

"Don't you DARE talk to her like that," Julius roared. "She is the kindest person I have ever met, and she's such a strong woman, especially considering she had to put up with you!" he shoved down on Kailani's wrists causing him to shout in pain. As I watched the fight, I jumped, hearing a psst in my ear. I whipped my head around to see my mother putting her finger to her lips, so I didn't make any noise, then beckoned me with her finger. I obeyed, quickly inching my ear closer to her lips. "Kailani is too powerful," she whispered frantically in my ear. "Julius will never defeat him on his own, but I am too weak to fight.." I pulled back, my eyes wide in surprise as I thought I knew what she would say next. "Luna.." she took a breath as she pulled my ear back to her lips. "You have to drain my power".