13

I could hear Julius frantically calling my name as I came to. For a moment, I couldn't understand what was going on but then my senses returned. I snapped my eyes open and was about to say the dreaded words, but as I took in Julius's face, my heart skipped a beat. He was holding me in his strong arms, looking at me through wide, teary eyes. I couldn't help the few tears that rolled from my eyes as I saw the fear mirrored in his.

Slipping one hand from behind my back, he caressed my cheek as he wiped the stray tears away with his thumb. "He knows" was all I could choke out before more tears streamed down my already damp cheeks. "What happened, Luna?" Julius asked softly, but I could hear the anger slowly boiling in his voice. "I was her, the woman that was screaming in my dreams. I could feel her worry and she thought 'something happened, I hope she's okay' and then I saw his eyes.. they were glowing such a deep blue.." Julius's brows furrowed together, "You've been having dreams about a woman? Since when? Why didn't you tell me?"

His look softened when he saw my expression, it was a long story to tell and I didn't know if I wanted to tell him the whole thing or if I even had time. Inhaling slowly, I started with the first time the woman had screamed in my dreams. I explained that I could feel her pain and then again in the shower and how Kailani had disappeared. Finally ending with what just happened, Julius asked me a single question, his anger barely contained. "Could you tell where she was?" I explained the dark, damp place and the cement block floor and walls. Julius looked like he was about to explode in rage; his eyes narrowed but staring off into the distance.

When he finally looked at me again, he simply said, "He doesn't deserve you," and closed the gap between us once more, kissing me with the same fiery passion that shown clearly in his eyes. I savored the few seconds but ended the kiss quickly. "You have to go, now!" I told him urgently. "Come with me," he pleaded. As badly as I wanted to go with him, I had to at least try to fool Kailani. "I can't, he'll know. I have to try, I'm sorry.." I wanted to say more but I couldn't bear to see the hurt in his gaze. "But-" he tried to say, but I cut him off, saying "Please, go. I can't see you get hurt, he's dangerous".

"Be careful" he whispered before striding to the door. I watched over my shoulder and saw him pause at the door to glance back and give me a quick smirk and then disappeared into the night. I smiled to myself as I quickly covered myself in the comforter and laid down, trying to steady my racing heartbeat.

It wasn't long before I heard the doorknob turn and footsteps thud angrily to the bed. My heart pounded in my chest as I hugged the blankets closer to my chest, trying my hardest to seem asleep. The bed dipped, and a cold hand suddenly grazed my shoulder. The sudden shock made me jump. "Luna?" Kailani said in a sickly-sweet voice as he tried to turn my body toward him. You can do this. I yawned, slowly flipping onto my other side to face my mate.

Smiling at me, he started to speak, "honey, I hope you're sleeping well". I tried my best at a smile and answered with a yes. "That's funny.." he responded in a low voice that made my blood run cold. "Because from what I felt from our connection, you weren't sleeping a few minutes ago".

In the darkness I could feel the blood drain from my face. "What are you talking about?" I asked, my voice as even as I could manage. "Close your eyes." Kailani commanded and through the fear, I obeyed. "Focus. Can you feel my heartbeat?" I focused and gasped as I realized what he was letting on about. I wasn't able to speak, afraid of my voice betraying me, so I solemnly nodded. "You see," Kailani spoke coolly into my ear which caused a squeak to slip out of my mouth. "I could feel your heartbeat. Nobody's heart beats that fast in their sleep" he hissed into my ear. I wrenched my eyes open just in time to see a blue flash along with Kailani's mesmerizing chants. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but I saw his lips curled into a wicked smile as I quickly slipped from consciousness.

--------------------

Ouch.. my head hurts. The thought drifted through my mind like a dandelion seed in the wind. Then I noticed that my body felt heavy as well as my eyes. Just let me sleep a little longer... but my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to slowly open my eyes. Through my eyelashes I noticed that my arms and hands are outstretched in front of me on the stone floor. Stone floor... Haven't I..? And then it hit me. My recollection of everything that happened came flooding back into my mind and I let out a silent sob.

"Luna?" Someone whispered close by. Why does thatname sound familiar? It took me a few long seconds for my brain torecognize that it was a woman's voice. It's her! It has to be.. Iinstantly wrenched my eyes open, curious to finally get a glimpse of the woman.What I saw was a slender woman, long silvery hair draped around her, with largeemerald eyes crouched beside me.