6

After a tiring day of shopping with Leo's sister, Kairi, I had finally arrived back home. It's strange thinking of this magical place as home, but it's a good strange, I thought to myself as I walked through the castle entrance with Leo. "Good night, Luna," Leo told me sleepily as we arrived at my room. "Good night, Leo. Thank you for the wonderful day," I said, beaming up at him. He smiled down at me before pulling me into a hug. I nuzzled my hair into his warm chest as he squeezed me. "See you later," I whispered as we pulled away from each other. His lips were parted as though he were going to say something in return, but instead nodded, smiled and turned to walk away. Just before he had turned, I could have sworn that I saw a twinge of sadness in his eyes. Perhaps he misses his sister since I took her away from him today... I thought, with a pang of guilt as I closed the bedroom door behind me. I hadn't realized how exhausted I was until I crashed down on my bed, my body only taking a few seconds to fall into a deep, dreamless sleep.

The next morning, I awoke to the familiar sunlight filtering in through the adjacent windows. I stretched happily, after feeling refreshed from the good night's sleep. Hmmm. I wonder what is on the agenda for today.. I thought absentmindedly to myself as I picked out my outfit for the day. Walking down to the dining room for breakfast, I ran into Maxwell.

"Good morning, Luna," he said, bowing. "Good morning," I replied, a large smile on my face. "Well you look like you woke up on the right side of the bed today!" Maxwell exclaimed. "Yes, I don't know why I am in such a good mood this morning, but it's great!" I answered energetically.

We chatted as we strode the corridors to the dining room. After receiving our breakfast, Maxwell asked me if I'd care to join him eating outdoors. I nodded my head vigorously, as I've always loved the sunshine. "So where are you from?" I asked him as we sat together in the gazebo that looked across the small lake.

"I am neither here, nor there," he chuckled at the confusion that was clearly show on my face. "That's what my mother used to tell me. I have traveled around so much that I don't know where I originated from-" he paused. His face twisted as if deciding something, and he continued, " You know, she used to be a very powerful sylph. My mother used to be able to control the weather". I smiled as I thought about Maxwell's mother; I wonder if she was a loving mother. All of a sudden I felt a wave of happiness wash over me.

"That's how I feel about her," Maxwell whispered. "How did you know that's what I was thinking?" I asked him, wide-eyed. He smiled and told me, "You were smiling," he winked at me," you're very easy to read, especially for someone who can literally read people's emotions".

I blushed at the thought of him reading my emotions, but smiled as well. There had been a question I had been wanting to ask, but I hesitated, not knowing if it was okay to ask. "What's on your mind?" Maxwell asked me, curiously.

"Why me?" I blurted out. Maxwell looked as if he was relieved, before answering. "You see, usually the next Goddess in line is a descendant of the prior Goddess, except our most recent Goddess never had any children." He told me, looking forlorn. "How long do Goddesses usually rule for?" I asked him. "Hundreds of years at the very least. It all depends on how long they desire to rule for, and how ready their daughter is. Time moves much more slowly in this realm than the one you previously resided in". He told me, watching my reaction as my eyes became wide. "You mean you are hundreds of years old?" I exclaimed in horror, my hands flying up to cover my cheeks. "Yes, but since you don't have your powers yet, we are continuing to fade. We are only at full potential when by a goddess with her full powers." Maxwell continued before being cut off by another voice.

"Haha! You look like a fish," the approaching voice laughed out loud. Startled, I looked up to find that it was Julius the voice belonged to. "Good Morning Julius," I sighed, catching my breath. "Aww, aren't happy to see your favorite person?" he smiled, lightly pinching my cheeks. Next, he turned to maxwell, "Mind if I steal Luna?" Maxwell visibly stiffened before replying, "Of course, Julius." Maxwell bowed and retreated to the castle with our plates.