Chapter 16

Naiyapaw and Vixen held their breaths, huddled together in front of the stone so that the intruder wouldn't see. The voice that had called out to them sounded extremely familiar. Naiyapaw crouched down, praying to StarTribe that Hiddenstar hadn't returned early and discovered them out here.

We're done for! Naiyapaw screeched inwardly, watching the way the brambles rustled.

Suddenly, a dark silhouette bounded from behind a patch of gorse, fluffy calico fur tangled and messy. Naiyapaw's eyes flashed open.

"BERYLPAW?" she asked, watching her friend's shocked expression dance across her face. Her big purple orbs were wide and disbelieving.

Berylpaw stood completely still, gaze flickering from Naiyapaw to Vixen and back again. She soon realized what was going on.

"Naiyapaw, what are you doing out here? You weren't in the den.." Berylpaw started, her voice dropping an octave, "and... oh no, you're with a SLAVE! This is bad Naiyapaw, this is really really bad!" she trilled, leaping forward to stand in front of the new apprentice.

"Berylpaw, I can explain," Naiyapaw cut in, but Berylpaw persisted.

"You're breaking the Tribal Code right now! You're not supposed to be out this late, especially with a Slave! We're not allowed to talk to them! Does Voltfang know you're out here? Ugh, of course he doesn't! If any cat finds out, you are going to be in so much trouble-"

"You mean... you're not going to tell..?" Naiyapaw asked sheepishly, watching the way the calico's face softened.

"I should, I really should... but no, I won't tell," Berylpaw replied with a huff, "But seriously, what you're doing is so dangerous. Hiddenstar could make YOU a Slave for this."

"I know she could. I'm trying to be careful," the caramel colored she-cat insisted quietly, "But Vixen needs my help! She was starving to death."

Berylpaw furrowed her brow and glanced over at the blonde she-cat. She was huddled at Naiyapaw's paws, her big blue eyes wide and frightened, her pelt standing on end. The Slave was still obviously very scared of tribe cats and what they might do to her.

"Well.. she is really thin," Berylpaw noticed with a sigh, dipping her head and swinging it back up to meet her friend's pleading gaze. A small pause cut through the air before Berylpaw let out a long dramatic groan, "FINE! I'll help you with this! But only because I love you," she mumbled.

Naiyapaw leapt into the air with glee and darted over to her friend, barrelling into her with all the force of a leaf-bare's gail. The calico let out an "oof" of laughter, batting at the muzzle of the excited she-cat.

"Thank you Berylpaw, I can never thank you for this!" she mewed before pulling away and glancing back down at Vixen. Her face was full of uncertainty.

"Ahem, Berylpaw, this is Vixen. Vixen, this is my best friend Berylpaw," Naiyapaw introduced excitedly, encouraging the Slave to get to her paws.

The shy blonde cat rose to her feet and slunk over to the pair, her baby blues full of curiosity, "N-nice to meet you Berylpaw," she practically squeaked.

Berylpaw's tortoiseshell fur fluffed up in greeting, "Hi Vixen! I've never spoken to a Slave before, but a friend of Naiyapaw's is a friend of mine."

Naiyapaw grinned with happiness. Her two greatest friends could now speak to each other without hassle. Her joy vanished quickly when she realized Vixen was no longer blocking the stone they had tried to conceal. It glowed and twinkled by the river, and upon Naiyapaw's notification, it flashed to life in a blinding dance of angelic white. The apprentice gasped, and her shoulders went limp. Yet another secret I have to tell Berylpaw about.