Chapter 2

“Naiyapaw, you are going to need a mentor to teach you the ways of the Jewel Collector.” Hiddenstar stated after all the celebrating had died down a bit. Her lacey violet crest began to glow again, and a warm smile crept onto her face.

Naiyapaw nodded with understanding. Of course, she wouldn’t be able to learn every gem stone without some sort of help, and a mentor would be greatly appreciated.

Hiddenstar stood tall, towering above her tribe on the mountain of ancient stones.

“I feel that there is only one cat that is fit for this job. Every other Jewel Collector has taken on an apprentice in their turn. Sadly, I have been leaving out this loyal traveler for some time.” Her eyes grew somber, but lit up again before she spoke.

“Coralfrost, please step forward.”

Gasps and smiles spread across the camp, and a party of cats split down the middle to let an unfamiliar she-cat through. Her pelt was the loveliest of gingers, and it glittered in the sun. Her eyes were a pale orange, with flecks of pink. Her paws were dainty and white. Her crest, an amazing pattern strewn across her neck of different types of gems, began to glow with joy. She padded forward proudly and warmly, stopping just beside the baffled Naiyapaw. They locked eyes for a heartbeat, and Naiyapaw could sense the kindness in the she-cat’s heart already.

Hiddenstar seemed pleased at the almost instant bond between the two, and looked down at the cat known as Coralfrost with a slight nod of the head.

“Coralfrost, you have been wanting an apprentice for some time. I don’t think any cat can deny that!” she chuckled. The rest of the tribe joined in, laughing warmly at the eager she-cat.

Coralfrost shook her head, and glanced sideways at Naiyapaw. “Don’t worry, this is exciting for me, too!” she whispered to the new apprentice, and smiled. Naiyapaw returned the grin, and listened to her leader once more.

“So,” Hiddenstar continued, “Coralfrost, I believe you are ready to teach this young apprentice the ways of the Jewel Collector. Your mentor, now deceased, taught you well, and your wisdom passes your years within the tribe.”

Coralfrost’s pale orange eyes dampened for a moment, and Naiyapaw instinctually pressed against the older she-cat for comfort.

The Jewel Collector gave the apprentice a loving smile, and turned back to her leader.

Hiddenstar flicker her ear, and lifted her muzzle to the sky.

“Congratulations, both of you. Beneath StarTribe, you may now seal your bond.” Hiddenstar yowled with nobility.

Coralfrost nodded, and pressed her nose to her new apprentice. Naiyapaw was confused, but shrugged and pressed back with just as much enthusiasm.

The whole tribe began to cheer, and the pair separated to take in all the thrilled chants and smiles. Naiyapaw barely knew any of the cats, but they all seemed very supportive of her new role as a Jewel Collector’s Apprentice. Not to mention her friend Berylpaw was also an apprentice in that position, so she wouldn’t be too lonely.

“Alright, ceremony dismissed!” Hiddenstar called again, and leapt into her den with a flutter of the laced curtains.

Coralfrost giggled loudly, and spun around to face her new apprentice. Her eyes were beaming, and the crest around her neck was glowing so brightly, that Naiyapaw was scared she was going to be blinded.

“It’s very lovely to meet you, Naiyapaw!” she tittered after a moment, her silky ginger pelt fluttering in the breeze.

Naiyapaw smiled, and dipped her head to the lovely she-cat. That was the only way she knew how to be polite around here.