▹17◃

London. St Mary's Hospital

Everyone questions how they die. If it will be old age or a terminal illness. People wonder if they would get caught in the cross fire, or a freak accident. I always hoped I would go peacefully, dying in my sleep and being surrounded by my friends and family. Children and grandchild spending my last moments with me, knowing I would die happy and loved. 

But a car accident was not a way I thought I would die or anyone. Yet a fatal car accident could kill a person on impact, or their injuries could be so bad they die on the way to the hospital or even in the building that tries to make people better. You never expect to die. However also being in so much pain, where life seems to be slipping away, sometimes you wish you could just go in peace. But dying by someone's hands? That was unfair.

I wasn't dead. I was unconscious for a bit apparently, my injuries were bad but not life threatening. I held a broken arm, few cracked ribs, slight head injury and just badly bruising. In fact I got off lighting the doctor said. I would however have a scar running up my left arm, the broken one, as they had to stitch it before placing a cast over. No I was okay. 

Harry on the other hand?

He was worse. 

He was bad.

The hospital light was far to bright, though due to my head injury there would be a lot of sensory issues, thought I was assured they would go back to normal in a few days. The constant loud buzzing sound of the generators, flicking lights, and constant coughing and whispers of people echoed throughout the hospital. And yet despite the loud noise, when I went into his bedroom, everything seemed to faded, everything was quiet as he lied there so peacefully. 

Like an angel.

I thought he was dead at one point, and I cried. I remembered I cried, because I thought he was gone and left me. And even though for months and years I had wanted nothing more than to be free, the fact that he could have died somewhat and somehow frightened me. It wasn't shock, it was a feeling I wished I would never admit. But even I was finding that boundary hard. I was afraid of this emotion that I had once felt, and it was clawing to come back to the surface. I mean I did beg him not to go, that meant something.

Right?

4 days prior

"Harry!" The scream left her lips, seeing several sets of headlights, beaming and blinding at them. She squinted, before letting out a shriek feeling the impact. She couldn't feel anything, being thrown around the car, her head smacking the dash board, as Harry tried to control the car, as everything became duller and eventually empty. The only thing echoing in the wind were a few simple words.

"Please don't leave me." 

Isabel could not comprehend for a moment what happened. Her head was fuzzy, and she could feel blood rushing from down her cheek, the smell of metal filling her nose and gas as she opened her eyes. Everything stung, her left arm was in serious pain and her chest felt something was pressing on it. The airbag had deflated, yet she could not figure out the pain shooting through her chest and rib cage. 

Gasping for air, she could feel her leg being pinned the seat belt wrapped tightly around her frame, keeping her from falling forward. Her whole body just aching with pain and wanting to collapse. Bruises formed around her pale skin, flecks of purple beginning to appear as red blood stained her clothes. She felt sick. That was clear as Isabel sat trying to detect what happened, trying to feel pain.