Chapter 24

A/N: If you know what show that quote above came from I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!

~~~Athena's P.O.V.~~~

"So you're awake as well?"

I look up from the book I was currently reading. "As my father use to say: sleep is for the weak."

Artemis smiles at my statement. "Mind if I join you? Sleep is failing me this evening."

"Not at all Artemis." I pat the spot beside me, "You're always welcome."

He walks over and sits down on the soft, purple blankets. His eyes shift over to the book I just bookmarked and set down. "Lord of the Flies?"

"Um, yes, it's one of my favorites." I answer.

He nods his head, with a smile. "I've never met a girl quite like you."

I blush slightly. "Well, I'm not exactly society's definition of normal."

"No," Artemis says, and I look over at him, "But what's fun about being normal?" He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"Nothing's fun about being normal, but at least people understand you." I mutter, frowning at nothing in particular.

He sighs and turn his body so he's completely facing me. "Society doesn't understand people like us Athena. They don't understand how an adolescent can be so intelligent, cunning, resourceful," His hand leaves mine and tucks a stray stand of hair behind my ear, "beautiful." He murmurs like he's in a daze.

"I'm not beautiful." I whisper.

"Yes you are."

"No, Artemis," I state coldly, looking him and the eye, "No. I'm not the kind of girl boys fall in love with. They think I'm attractive and they try to get close to me," I pause and take a deep breath, "But once they do, they realize I'm a cold hearted monster. I steal, I hurt, and I kill. So I push people away."

"But you don't push me away."

I shake my head, "For some reason you're different, Artemis." A small tear rolls down my cheek, "And that's why I'm scared." I faintly say.

"Scared?"

Another tear escapes. "Anyone that gets close to me, or my family, ends up getting hurt or dead." I look down, "I don't want that to happen to you."

"Athena, nothing's going to happen to me." He whispers softly, cupping my face in his hands and wiping the tears away with his thumb. "And if something does, as I learned the other day, you will protect me. I mean Blade and Carla are alright, what's so different-"

"No, they aren't."

"Well, last time I checked neither one was dead or injured. Explain."

"I never told anyone this before." I sigh and close my eyes.

"You don't have to-"

"No, I should tell someone at least. I can't keep trying to bury the past."

He tugs me towards him and keeps me in his embrace. "Just talk."

"You know how Carla is Blade's legal guardian?"

He nods his head, a signal for me to continue.

"Well, that's because his parents died when he was four. But they think the cause of their death was a car crash." I sniffle, "But that's not the truth. My father and me are the reason for their death." I take a deep breath, "A group of people had kidnapped me. I was only four, I didn't know how to defend myself. My father would do anything to get his little girl back safely," I squeeze my eyes shut to try and prevent the tears from falling. "Even murder his best friend and his wife."