Chapter 3

{Rewritten}

~~~Artemis' POV Yesterday Afternoon~~~

"Is this really necessary?" I asked Butler, watching him as he loaded our suitcases into the car.

"You know your parents think this will be good for you, so to answer your question, yes, this is necessary," after saying this he put the last of the suitcases into the car and shut the trunk with a bang.

My whole family was going on a vacation to America. New York City, to be exact. Apparently some people my father was in business with had invited him to some party of sorts.

I sighed. "Why can't I stay here, and finish my project?"

"Your parents said something about a girl," he responds flatly with the shrug of the shoulders.

"What?" I couldn't help but be curious.

"Yeah, apparently the people who invited us are the grandparents of the girl, we are attending her birthday party."

I sat there thinking about the situation as Butler walked back inside the manor to grab the rest of my family.

Why would my parents want me to meet this girl? I thought to myself. They better not be doing what I think they are doing.

For the past few months they had been trying to find a suitable wife for me. I may only be 16, but they wanted to make sure the girl was perfect, so therefore they started searching early.

My thoughts were cut off as my little brothers ran right by me and jumped into the car. 

My parents soon followed them, scolding them for running.

I sighed again and followed them.This is going to be a long trip. I thought to myself sadly as the car drove off, leaving my home in the dust.

~~~Present Day (Still Artemis' POV)~~~

I stared at the girl in front of me. She was apologizing for bumping into me.

I take in her features. She has long dark brown hair, that is in curls that frame her face perfectly. She has icy blue eyes, that give me the feeling that she can read my mind, or see into my soul.

She is quite beautiful.

And that's coming from a boy who doesn't have much interest in girls, like normal 16-year-old boys these days.

I smiled at her. "It's quite alright." Usually I would get mad at the person who bumped into me, but this girl was different. I just knew it. Maybe it was the feeling that stirred up in my stomach when my eyes met her's.

I offered her my hand and said, "I'm Artemis Fowl."

She smiled back at me and accepted my hand saying, "Athena Murray."

So she is named after the Greek Goddess of Wisdom? Huh. I wonder if there is a reason for that.

Of course, being the gentleman my parents raised me to be, I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it gently.

She raised an eyebrow at me. I wondered if I did something wrong so I asked her, "Is something the matter?"

"Of course not," she said quickly, "it's just that you're the first boy in my life that has ever done that." She then smiled at me again, her perfectly white Yeet here shining brightly.

"You must not have met any decent boys then?" I asked her in a joking matter.

She let out a little laugh. "I can't say that I have."

She's rather pretty when she laughs.

"Athena." I turned to see an elderly couple walking our way.

"Grandfather. Grandmother. What can I do for you?" Athena asked politely turning to the couple.

"Do you know where Carla is, darling?" the older woman asked her.

"She's not around?" Athena asked in return giving the couple a puzzled look.

The man stepped forward. "No, we have not seen her since the start of the evening. We were hoping you had an idea of where she might be."

Athena seemed to think about it for a little bit. "She might be in the kitchen, "she eventually answered, "let me go check. I'll bring her back to you when I find her." She turned to face me, "Excuse me, but I must go. It was a pleasure to meet you, Artemis."

"The pleasure was all mine, Athena. I hope I will see you again." I responded sending her a small smile.

"You can count on it." She turned away from me and walked away, the elegant black dress she was wearing swishing around her long legs.

I watched her form retreat back into the chaos of the party with a hint of sadness settling over me. I would like to know more about that girl. I thought to myself my gaze need straying from her.

~~~Athena's POV~~~

I walke through the crowds looking for my trusted bodyguard.

You're probably wondering Why do you need a bodyguard, you seem perfectly safe?

Well, my father was a very successful businessman, but before that, he was part of something much more...dangerous.

My father used to be a Mafia boss.

He was in charge of a lot of dangerous people, and they followed his every command with even thinking about it.

Throughout my childhood I was taught how to protect myself. Ever since I could talk I knew how to defuse a bomb. Every since I could walk I knew martial arts. Every since I could ride a bike I knew how to fire a gun.

I was very skilled with a gun in particular. Ever since the first day I picked it up I was a natural at it. I never missed a target.

My father's nickname for me was Sniper Girl, well more like his little Sniper Girl.

But he still wanted a bodyguard for me, I think he felt better knowing someone was always keeping an eye on me. He was afraid one of his enemies would seek revenge, and go after me or my mom. So I was constantly under supervision.

And that's how Carla came into my life, and now we are basically inseparable.

Now back to the present where I was looking for my bodyguard in the kitchen.

"Carla!" I called out, my voice echoing in the slightest.

"Yes Athena?" Her head popped out from one of the corners, she was drying her hands with a red towel.

"My grandparents are looking for you," I stated calmly.

"Oh, okay, I'll go see what they want." She hurried out searching for them.

I walked out after her, going in a different direction, once again greeting guests.

Maybe I can find Artemis, I really liked him. I thought to myself happily, searching for the blacked haired boy.