Chapter 12

~~~Athena's P.O.V~~~

I take a sip of my fourth cup of coffee. I've been up all night trying to figure what Holly exactly is. I bite my lip and run my fingers through my hair stressfully.

She is the strangest creature I've ever encountered. I think as I once again run my fingers over her pointy ears.

I look over to where I have Artemis laying down on a cot. I slowly walk over to him and stand over him watching him sleep peacefully. I gently stroke some of his black hair from his forehead; I sigh deeply, I feel awful about this.

Suddenly, his blue eyes flutter open and stare at me sleepily. "Athena?"

I sit down on a chair I placed by his cot. I take hold of one his hands, "I'm right here Artemis."

He places his other hand on his forehead rubbing it slightly. He winces when he touches the area I punched him.

I stand up saying, "I'll get an ice pack for that. Be right back. Stay put."

I walk out of the room and towards the kitchen, where we keep the ice packs. I see Carla and Blade talking to each other when I enter. I stride over to the fridge hoping Carla won't question me or say anything.

"So Blade told me we have a new member in the cellar."

You are so dead Blade.

I shoot a death glare towards Blade, then turn to Carla with an innocent smile on my face. "Yes we do." I say sweetly.

"Show me."

My smile instantly drops, "I'm not sure that's a good idea."

Carla gives me a death glare of her own, "I wasn't asking Athena. Show. Me."

I sigh and once again glare at Blade. He smirks at me and mouths 'Good luck.' I mouth back 'You are so dead Blade Johnston.' He whimpers; I never use his full name.

"Just let me grab something for Artemis." I say and reach into the freezer pulling out an ice pack.

"Why do you need that?" Carla questions.

"I just do. Let's go, I'll show you the girl."

"Oh, so this ones a girl." Carla says as we walk out of the kitchen and down the hall.

I don't say anything and continue walking. I open the door and motion to Holly then walk over to Artemis. I gently put the ice pack on his head.

"If you don't mind Athena," He mutters, holding the ice pack in place, "please stop punching me."

I smile down at him, "I'll keep that in mind Artemis."

I leave him and head towards Carla, who is bent over the lab table examining Holly.

"What is she?" She asks me looking up.

"That's the thing, I don't know." I answer honestly, "But to be honest she kind of reminds of a some mythical creature."

"I can see where you're getting that." Carla replies, pointing at Holly's ears.

"She almost reminds me of what I thought a fairy would look like. Except a little smaller." I state.

Carla nods her head in agreement. "When is she supposed to wake up?" She asks, sounding concerned.

"Well it's been a couple hours, so I'm hoping soon." I respond, glancing at my phone for the time, "I have a lot of questions for this girl."

Carla looks at me worried, "Don't ask to many questions, Athena. You might stress the poor thing out." she then walks out of the room, shaking her head slightly.

I look back down at Holly; she hasn't moved since she got knocked out, and it's staring to concern me. Maybe her body was too small to be able to handle the blow from the gun. If Blade killed her, I won't get any answers.

"Athena."

I look over at Artemis and briskly walk over to him, once again sitting in the chair. "Yes Artemis?" I ask warmly.

"Where's Holly?" He asks, looking me right in the eye.

God his eyes are some of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen.

Really Athena? Did you seriously just think that? You don't have time for boys!

"She's over on that table." I answer, grabbing his hand once again, hoping to bring some comfort to him.

"Is she alright?"

I hesitate. "She seems to be perfectly healthy." I finally answer.

He nods his head slowly, "Good." he looks over at her, and I can see the worry in his eyes. "Please don't hurt her. She was only trying to protect me."

"I won't hurt her. I promise." I say softly.

He looks back at me. "Why are you holding my hand Athena?" He asks looking down at our hands.

I quickly let go of his hand, "I was trying to comfort you. I'm sorry, I didn't real-"

"It's fine Athena," He cuts me off, "I actually enjoyed it." He grabs my hand again, and holds it tightly.

I feel a blush start to creep up my cheeks. I slightly shake my head. Get a hold of yourself Athena.

I smile down at our hands. "When did you and Holly become such close friends?"

"We first met when I was 12." He answers softly, "We weren't exactly friends at first, but we learned to like each other."

"Why is she so protective of you?" I ask as I start to rub circles into his hand.

"We have a lot of history."

"But you've only known each other for a short amount of time."

"A lot can happen in that short amount of time." He answers with a slight smile on his face. "What about you and Blade?" He asks.

I smile at all the memories we've had. "We've known each other since we were toddlers. Ever since his parents died and Carla became his legal guardian."

"I imagine you're fairly close then?"

"Very close. Sometimes too close in my opinion." I answer rolling my eyes.

Artemis lets out a little laugh, "Never knew there was such a thing as being too close."

"Trust me, there is." I respond shaking my head, "The things that boy knows."

"I know the feeling." Artemis says smirking.

I smile, I'm really starting to like Artemis. I've finally met someone like me.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Holly starting to twitch in the slightest and groan.

"Looks like Holly's awake." I state and stand up, dropping Artemis' hand. I slowly walk over to Holly, and pull up a chair by the table she's laying on.

Her eyes open slowly and she blinks sleepily. "Where am I?"

"Safe." I reply, I need Holly to trust me. Which seems like an impossible task at the moment, considering the glare she's giving me.

"Safe? I highly doubt that, if I'm your presence." She snarls.

"Trust me, you're safe. I gave my word." I glance behind me at Artemis, who is now sitting up and ever so slowly standing up.

She looks over at Artemis and groans, "I swear Mud Boy if you are working with this girl..."

"I wouldn't exactly call it working, more like blackmail." He replies cooly now standing beside my chair.

"If it's blackmail, why is she acting so nice towards you?" She narrows her eyes at me.

"I've learned to like Artemis, despite the situation we are in." I answer for Artemis. I lean forward so I'm closer to Holly, "And I'm hoping we can like each other. All you have to do is answer some simple questions for me."

She looks at Artemis. "We can trust her." He says reassuring her.

She looks back at me and nods her head, "Alright Mud Girl, fire away."