Chapter 18

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!!🎇🎆🎇🎆

Sorry I haven't wrote a chapter for a little while. Writer's block hit me in the face, multiple times, with a brick. And it might have been that I was a little too lazy to write as well XD

~~~~~~~

~~~Athena's P.O.V.~~~

"That's all you know so far?" I ask in disbelief.

Foaly slowly nods his head, "Sadly enough, yes, this is all we got on this person."

"Pathetic for the LEP." Artemis comments dryly, rereading the short page of information.

Foaly growls, "Watch it Mud Boy."

I stand next to Artemis also rereading the information. I can't help but agree with him; this isn't much to go off of.

Age: 33

Gender: Male?

Appearance: ?

City: New York City

At the bottom of the page was a map of New York City with multiple red dots on it, telling us where this person has been in the last month. To sum it up: everywhere.

He must be a very busy man to be going to all these places. I think to myself scanning over the red dots.

"It appears that they visit this building quite frequently." Artemis says pointing to a certain building on the map, that has quite a few dots on it.

"Interesting," I murmur, "Blade." I speak up, gesturing to the boy, "Come over here and take a look at this."

"What's interesting?" Artemis questions.

"I may have just figured out who we are looking for. But I need Blade to make sure of something, to prove my theory right." I answer, stepping back so Blade can take a look at the paper.

"Now, Blade," I start off, "do you recognize that building?"

He nods his head, "Isn't that your father's business?"

I smirk, "Correct." I scan over the paper once more, "If they are 33 and possibly a male. And it seems they come here periodically, like an employee would. I'm going to say our person is my father's old partner: Lewis Powell."

Blade slumps down onto the ground, yawning. "Can we go home? I'm tired."

I nod my head, "Is it alright if we do go home?" I ask.

Foaly nods his head, smiling, "Sure, we can talk more tomorrow. Plus, I really don't want to be on the princess' bad side."

I chuckle, "Thank you Foaly. So how exactly are we getting there-"

That's when everything goes black.

~~~~~~~

I open my eyes slowly, fighting off my drowsiness. I sit up and look around. I'm in my room, laying on top of my bed.

When and how did I get here? I mentally question myself.

And that's when everything hits me.

Tears start forming in my eyes, waiting to be shed.

Bella and Phillip...

They start streaming down my cheeks as I put my face in my head, my body shaking with silent sobs.

How am I going to get them?

A quiet sob escapes my mouth, and more follow. This is the first time I've actually cried since that night.

I didn't cry at my mother and father's funeral.

I didn't cry when the police told me they couldn't find my siblings.

I told myself to stay strong. I had hoped if I kept my emotions bottled up inside me, they would eventually disappear.

But they got worse.

And now I can't take it anymore. My walls are breaking; every feeling I've had since that night, is pouring out of me now.

For being the smartest girl in America, I can be so dumb at times. Why did I think it was good idea to hide my feelings? It would have been so much better to talk to someone about them.

A louder sob escapes, more tears following it.

I need someone right now.

~~~Artemis' P.O.V.~~~

"Thank you again for letting me stay the night."

Carla waves her hand dismissively, "Oh stop it. I don't mind Artemis. Now go get some sleep, you're probably exhausted." She lightly pushes me towards the staircase.

I nod my head, slightly smiling, and walk up the stairs. She reminds me so much of my own mother. She's always pushing me to go to sleep and get some rest. But how can I rest when there's work to be done?

I walk down the hallway towards my room. I hate to admit it, but Carla's right: I'm exhausted.

I go to open the door, but pause when I hear noise from Athena's room.

Are those...sobs?

I turn to face her door, and slowly walk up to it. I raise my hand to knock, but hesitate. I take a deep breath and knock the hard wood.

No one answers, but the noise continues. I start to slowly open the door. I'm going to regret this.

I slowly walk in, softly shutting the door behind me. I see Athena sitting on her bed her head in her hands.

"Athena?" I state softly, walking closer to the crying girl.

Her head snaps up and I can see tears running down her cheeks. She hastily wipes at her eyes, trying to get rid of them, but her eyes still have a misty look to them. She looks away hiding her face from my view.

"Hello Artemis." She speaks softly.

"Are...are you crying?"

She looks at me with an ashamed but sarcastic face. "No, my eyes are leaking H2O."

"Athena tell me about it." I demand, sitting next to her on the bed.

"Artemis, it really doesn't matter-"

"Athena." I say sternly, "Talk to me. We don't have to talk for long."  I turn my gaze to her.

She seems to slump in defeat, "Fine." she whispers softly, "Lets talk."

~~~~~~~

I didn't expect us to talk for long. But before I knew it, it was 3 in the morning. When we had started it had been 9 in the evening.

"Athena, we should probably get some rest-"

All of a sudden I feel a pair of arms wrap around me. I stiffen in shock. I'm not big on touching, but Athena is...different.

Five seconds later I hesitantly wrap my arms around Athena's shaking body, pulling her closer to mine.

I feel her tighten her embrace as she buries her head in the crook of my neck. I can feel the tears, that are leaving her eyes, on my neck. I rub circles into her back, leaning backwards against her bed's headboard.

I can feel myself starting to fall asleep. I try to stay awake, but Athena's body warmth isn't really helping. Her body slowly stops moving and her breathing becomes even, telling me she's asleep.

In my arms.

And I'm slowly falling asleep.

In a girl's bed, with said girl in my arms, also sleeping.

Never thought this would happen.

I smile softly as I let sleep consume me.

But I'm not complaining.