Chapter 1

{Rewritten}

"Blade!" I shouted looking for the thief. That little imbecile had stolen my precious laptop, and had hid it somewhere.

He is going to die a very painful death. I thought to myself angrily.

"Hey Athena," he said with a completely innocent face.

"You are not fooling me," I said in a deadly tone. "Where is it?" I pronounced each word more slowly than the last.

"Sorry Athena, but I'm not telling you. You have been glued to that computer's screen for a week now. You need to go outside or do something other than staring at a screen," he stated determinedly, crossing his arms over his chest.

I gave him a glare that would make the Devil himself  whimper and cower before me. He held his gaze with me, not breaking contact. Both of our eyes break away when Carla called out, "Breakfast is ready!"

"She just saved your sorry gluteus maximus," I stated still giving him my famous death glare.

"Don't you start using fancy words on me, Athena Murray," he responded returning my glare.

I turned on my heel and stuck my nose in the air walking towards the dining room. I could hear him mumbling under his breath behind me as he closely followed behind. 

I ignored him and entered the dining room.

I could smell a Pistachio Pesto Quiche as I entered the room. My favorite.

"Happy Birthday Athena!" Carla said smiling as she placed the food on the oak table.

I gave her a soft smile. "Thank you Carla."

When Blade entered the room she sent him a look that said: Behave.

He rolled his eyes and sat down by me. He flashed me a smile that made all the girls at school swoon saying, "Happy Birthday darling." And tucked a piece of my dark brown hair behind my ear.

Don't get any ideas. Blade and I are not dating. He just does this to annoy me.

I glared at him—again—and started eating my amazing birthday breakfast

"By the way Athena, your grandparents should be here by noon," Carla said taking a sip of her black coffee.

I nodded my head and continued on with my meal. My grandparents always came over for my birthday; even before my parents died. This is my second birthday without my parents or siblings. I think, now, they feel obliged to come.

Carla was reading The New York Times, flipping through its pages contently.

"Anything interesting?" I inquired.

"Not particularly," she answered back in a monotone voice, her face showing no emotion as she scanned the pages' contents.

"There never is anything interesting in there," Blade said shoving some more food in his mouth. "Just a whole bunch of garbage."

I rolled my eyes at his eating methods. "Can you stop acting like a pig for once in your life?" I commented dryly.

He glared at me and said, with food still in his mouth, "We can't all be perfect little princesses like you, Athena."

"Don't call me a princess," I snapped with venom. "And learn to swallow your food before speaking."

He rolled his eyes at me, probably hoping to make me stop; it only encouraged me.

"Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you'll find a brain back there," I chided giving him my signature smirk.

He glared and opened his mouth to say some witty comeback, but Carla beat him to it.

"Stop it. Both of you. It's Athena's birthday so I expect you two to be nice to each other," she snapped.

"Yes Carla," we both said at the same time, Blade even bowed his head down.

"Good," she said looking between the two of us. "Now Athena, I want you to go get ready. Dress accordingly. Blade, same goes to you."

We both got up and headed to our rooms. Blade looked at me and smiled softly. "Y'know I'm only joking, right?"

"Of course," I said. "I was joking as well. Isn't that what good friends do? Tease each other?"

"Y'know it princess!" he said cheekily, wrapping his arm around my waist and looking down at me with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and gently pried his arm of my body. Clearing my throat I said, "If you'll excuse me Blade, I must get ready for my party."

He saluted me and walked down the hall to his room, as I turned the doorknob to mine and stepped into the elegant room.

My grandparents always invited people they were in business with to my parties. I don't really quite understand why, but I'm fairly sure it's to display their intelligent and beautiful granddaughter. They are very proud of me and my accomplishments (if only they knew the full truth...). They always said I'm a very talented young lady.

I slipped on a elegant black dress that had gold trimmings along its edges. I placed on a pair of gold heels that complimented it perfectly.

For a while I debated what to do with my hair. I finally decide to curl it, letting it form little ringlets that framed my face. I put on a touch of makeup to make my ice blue eyes pop out all the more.

I stared at my reflection in my full length mirror. And all I could feel was guilt and disappointment.

This is not the Athena I used to know. I thought to myself sadly.

That Athena died the same night her parents died, giving birth to the New Athena. The girl who stole. The girl who hurt. The girl who murdered.

My eyes flickered to a picture I had pinned up on the mirror. In the picture I was holding a one-year-old Bella, while Blade stood beside me holding a one-year-old Phillip. My parents and Carla stood behind him and me. We were all looking a the camera with pure joy on our faces.

I smiled softly and whispered, "I love you Mom and Dad. I hope you can hear me and see me right now. I hope you are watching over Bella and Phillip, wherever they may be."

I heard Carla calling for me to come downstairs as my grandparents have just arrived.

I looked at the picture once more. "I hope you are proud of your little girl," I murmured and walked out of the room.