Chapter 36~ Paying Visits

***Audrey's P.O.V.***

"That went surprisingly well," Louis mumbled while he turned in his seat to back out of the driveway of his mother's house. Jay and the girls were sitting on the porch and waving goodbye to us while Daniel held Ernest on one hip and Doris on the other and tried his best to get them to wave. Doris was doing her best to copy the gesture, but Ernest was too busy pulling at his dad's ear. The whole scene was picture perfect, and I found myself laughing at Louis' words while I waved back to them.

"You have such a lovely family, Louis," I smiled which brought a grin to his lips as he watched the road carefully. He let out a sort of muffled 'thanks' as the goofy grin remained on his lips and he kept driving down the roads of Doncaster. The next stop was my mum's house, and I didn't know if I was completely prepared for that. What would she think about me showing up with Louis after so long of being away? "Louis, I have one question about your mum," I began, and his gaze snapped over to me. I could practically already feel him getting nervous with the words. Jay was a wonderful woman and all, but there was something that didn't add up. "If your mum is a vampire, and she knows about the bond and everything; why did she marry other men besides Daniel?"

His frown and nervousness appeared to slowly fade away as if he had been expecting this question and the answer wasn't anything horrible. I waited patiently for his answer, and when he finally spoke he was still keeping an eye on the road. "There's this phenomenon that happens sometimes with the bonds where a person has several bonds but only one of the bonds is the right one. They call them false bonds, and my mum was just unlucky to be among the ones that got stuck with it," he explained and my mouth went into and 'o' shape as I heard his words. That would explain divorce and all that that happens in the world.

"How common is it?" I wondered, becoming a little concerned. How would you be able to tell if a bond was false or not? What if Louis and I's bond was false? I would be devastated to find out that we had gone through all of this and the bond was just fake. I had fallen for Louis, and I'd hate to find out that what was between us wasn't meant to be.

He looked over at me for a moment, and then he chuckled, "don't worry, our bond isn't false. A false bond probably would have started to fade by now, and ours has always been easy to trace so we're guaranteed. The society tells someone if they have multiple bonds; the knowers are able to spot it right away." That put me at ease, and his next words only reassured me even more. "Plus, it's more common among humans, witches, and warlocks."

"Witches and warlocks?" I raised an eyebrow in question and he nodded.

"From now on, just assume that everything exits," he told me with a shrug as if the idea was completely normal. Every single mystical creature coexisting in the same world? Could that even be entirely possible? It was an odd concept to grasp.

"Wait, so," I thought for a moment and then blurted out the first thing that came to my mind, "ghosts?"

Louis nodded, "tons of them; if you keep an open mind than you could find them pretty much everywhere."

"Do they, like... hurt people like in the movies?" I asked and that only made him laugh. It was a valid question; I had seen plenty of ghost movies where the ghost went around terrorizing the living and sometimes even killing them. Heck, that was basically the objective of every ghost in every single ghost movie I had ever seen. Casper the 'friendly' ghost would probably be the only exception. So, if ghosts were pretty much everywhere, I wanted to know if any of them would hurt me.

"I swear," he chuckled out the words while he struggled to keep his focus on the road, "you humans are so blind to the world." He composed himself eventually and then shook his head at me. His wispy brown hair fell into his eyes and splayed across his forehead, but he pushed it back quickly so that he could concentrate and not crash. "No, ghosts will very rarely be powerful enough to hurt you. Even if they were powerful enough, they don't want to; they're saving up their power in order to mess around with the living. Most of them are just big pranksters."