Chapter 31~ Hitman For Two

***Audrey's P.O.V.***

I couldn't exactly tell you what was more terrifying in that moment. Whether it be the fact that there was a dead man laying on the floor of the flat's foyer, that there was man standing in front of me with an intention to no doubt kill me, or that Louis had not yet arrived to help like he always tended to do. Surely, he would have heard the slight commotion of a body hitting the floor. I was alone, though, and pretty much looking death in the face.

"Joshua," I started nervously, looking at the said boy who wore a conflicted expression on his features, "what the hell?" I was just glad that I hadn't said something incredibly stupid like, 'you just killed someone.' I was still trying to comprehend things past the obvious like the fact that I could very well die soon.

"I don't want this to be difficult, Audrey," he stated, walking towards me slowly with the silver sphere still crackling with electricity. "Just one inch away from this and that's all it takes for one bolt to find a positive streamer being emitted from your body. It doesn't have to be painful, I promise."

"You better stay right where your at if all it takes is an inch," I replied nervously. Why did there always have to be a wall to get backed into? The space between us was getting smaller and smaller with each step he took because I had no where to go to without having him close enough behind me to kill me. "Why are you doing this, Joshua; what's gotten into you?" I demanded the answer, and his frown deepened at my words.

"Louis has to pay for what he's done, Audrey," he told me, "I don't want to have to hurt you, but this is how it has to be."

"No," I protested, letting out a slightly strangled nervous laugh, "no, you can put that down and walk away. This doesn't have to end with anyone dying today." With his next step, I flattened myself against the corner of the walls as much as I could.

His movements stopped abruptly, ending with him standing directly in front of me with the sphere resting in a relaxed stance by his side. "You could have stayed at the compound with me, Audrey," his features were soft now, almost sad looking while I was still panicking, "I could have broken the bond and then you could be free from him. You wouldn't have to die; we could've been happy, you know."

"There's never true happiness without your mate," Louis' voice called from the other side of the room. My eyes snapped to look over at him, and I found that he was oddly calm for me being close to death. All Joshua had to do was put his hand out a little and then it would be lights out for Louis and I.

"I guess I wouldn't know," Joshua growled out, turning the slightest bit to look at Louis better.

Louis rolled his eyes at him, "could you stop pretending like you're the victim? I killed Emmaline because you and her were talking about killing Audrey, and you know that almost any other vampire would do the same. So don't give me your bulls***." He was really pushing the envelope with his words, because I could see Joshua pushing the sphere closer towards me.

"Louis," I warned.

He looked to my panic expression and then back to Joshua who was still focused on him with a glare. "Where did you even get a power harvester? Your father didn't give it to you; he would never trust a vampire like you with it. Did you steal it?"

"It doesn't matter," Joshua replied, his look turning somewhat anxious.

"Well," Louis started with a small shrug while approaching us a little, "I think it does if you're planning to kill me with it."

"It was given to me," Joshua supplied bluntly.

"By whom?" Louis pressed on, taking another step.

"Like I would tell you," Joshua chuckled. He must have decided that he was done talking to Louis, because he turned back towards me and gave me a somewhat apologetic look before his hand shot forward along with the sphere. I closed my eyes, letting out a small yelp from the expectation of a sudden death. However, nothing happened.

Slowly, I opened my eyes to see what had happened in the room and I came face to face with a surprised looking Joshua. My eyes looked down to his hand to see that it was farther away from me than when I had closed my eyes. Louis was chuckling a little from his spot. Before anyone could speak, Joshua stepped away from me with jerky and almost robotic movements.

"Did you really think that killing an Agitator would be that easy, Joshua?" Louis wondered with a raised eyebrow. He looked to me, motioning for me to walk over to him which I gladly did. His hand found mine, guiding me to step behind him as if there was bound to be another explosion.

"Dammit," Joshua muttered, looking to Louis with a glare. He brought his hand back as if he was going to quickly throw the sphere at us, but Louis was quicker with his power and he stopped his movements. Well, I thought that Louis had stopped him.

"The hell..." Louis mumbled under his breath with furrowed brows making his features scrunched slightly.

"What?" I questioned, not following what was happening at the moment.

"I didn't stop him that time," Louis explained, and I looked back to Joshua. At the exact moment that he heard Louis' words, a look of pure horror crossed his face. I could tell that he was starting to panic, and it wasnt hard to see why when his hand started to move back to his side. Through out the whole time that he had been holding the sphere he had always kept it at least more than an inch away from his own body, and it wasn't hard to figure out why.

"No," he cried out suddenly, his hand shaking while it grew closer and closer to his body. "No, I don't want to die," he started, his features growing even more panicked with the words, "please, don't kill me."

I looked up to Louis who looked shocked, and I tugged on his arm slightly, "Louis, stop it."

"I'm not doing anything, Audrey," he insisted, and I could tell that he wasn't lying when he said the words. Whatever was making Joshua move had nothing to do with Louis' power. However, Joshua's hand wasn't stopping its movement and the look of horror on his face only grew. Louis' features scrunched even more, and I could tell that he was trying to get Joshua to stop.

There was the loud crack of electricity growing louder for a moment before things went completely silent. I gasped, watching Joshua's limp and lifeless body falling to the floor in a heap with the sphere falling beside him. Even Louis looked shocked at the scene in front of us. The crackling of the sphere stopped as well; there was no more electricity circling around the sphere. My hand covered my gaping mouth. Two men now lay dead on our floor...

"What the f***," Louis grumbled, looking to me as if I had the answer to what had just happened. "Jacob has to be involved with this," he sighed, and then there was another curse leaving his lips. "Benjamin, oh God, this is bad. Audrey, go get my phone for me, please," he instructed and I nodded. I was about to do as he said, but there was a knock on the door and we both froze.

Louis hesitantly looked through the peep hole of the door before opening it up and revealing something I definitely could have gone without seeing. The small monkey began to clap its cymbals together rapidly, bouncing as it did so. Louis picked it up, bringing his hand back just like a professional pitcher, and then threw it as far as he could before slamming the door closed.

"Dammit, this is getting old," Louis groaned, hearing the loud explosion outside along with the sudden eruption of car alarms and yelling. He looked to me, a tired expression on his features, "one week; we couldn't have just had one normal week together, could we?" He shook his head before continuing,

"I guess the unicorns will have to wait a few more days."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, that was all over the place. I understand if that confused you; just comment any questions. I'm so sorry if it was confussing. The next chapter should be up this weekend :)  hope you enjoyed this chapter, nevertheless :)

-cow_queen