f i f t y : liars breaking row

song : michl - kill our way to heaven (a song for all the liars in this book)

__________

Three hours later, Darien, Liv and Julia sat in Ridley's class with their incomplete essays before them. Darien sat two desks away in front of Julia while Liv sat in the left row, almost two feet away. Of course, Ridley was there too, his glorious ass facing the air as he went through a drawer, rummaging.

A sound of tapping caused Julia to stare at Liv. Julia wasn't the only one since Dee was curiously watching her. Liv, like the rebel she was, held up her copy towards them, the paper slightly tilted.

There was an unidentifiable sketch on one corner of the page. Inside the mess, two words were calligraphed, almost painfully aesthetic.

Ridley sucks.

"Detention is enough. You don't need a suspension now," Dee hissed at her, her sleek black hair falling over her face as she leaned forward.

Liv looked at Julia for support but she only shrugged, "Listen to mum."

Dee rolled her eyes before going back to her essay, ignoring when Liv scoffed, "I was going to rip the paper off anyway."

"You're supposed to finish your essays, aren't you?" Ridley had turned back towards them, perhaps in possession of whatever he was looking for. Now his eyes bore into each of the girls. The gaze faltered at the sound of a techno beat coming from a cellphone which would belong to Ridley since he had made them switch off their own.

"I'm sorry but I'll have to take this," he smiled impishly, holding up his phone to emphasize, his eyebrows slightly furrowed as if he was nervous. It must have been important since a teacher wasn't supposed to use his phone in the class or detention.

He had made his way towards the back of the class with easy grace, not willing to leave the girls alone.

Unfortunately, they could make out each of the words he was saying.

"I'm sorry I didn't call you back. I am not allowed to keep my phone on."

Darien looked over at Liv and Julia, mouthing, "Girlfriend?"

"Probably," Julia murmured, her eyes on her essay. Of course, this was none of their business. But they were curious teenage girls. How could they resist?

His voice turned loud and angry, all too familiar now at some point. There was a brief silence before he continued.

"Because I'm a fucking teacher, and I talked to her last night. She was fine. What?!"

A gasp echoed through the classroom. Red curls, black hair and golden curls whipped back with attention, three girls now endlessly curious at the sob that escaped from their asshole teacher.

"Of course I'll... I'll," he struggled, his face pale as if he had seen a ghost. “Of course I want to be there." Another sob emerged from behind the door. "I don't know what time I'll get there. Tell them I'm coming. I'll go straight to the airport and hop a plane, but I don't know what kind of flight I can get on short notice."

He paused. "I know. Tell them I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..." His voice trailed off into a soft, shuddering cry, and Julia heard him hang up the phone.

Ridley walked back towards the desk and turned his back to them, holding his head in his long-fingered hands. The girls watched as his wide shoulders shook. He whipped back abruptly, his face blotchy, his hands roughly wiping the remains of his tears.

Julia looked at her friends. Their expression held compassion. But it was Liv who spoke first, “Mr. Ridley, are you okay?”

He was taken aback, his green eyes widened at them as though he didn't realize they were there. He recovered fast. “Yes, I'm fine. Thank you. You can submit your copies now.”