e i g h t : portrait of a beautiful girl

song : orsten - fleur blanche

dedicated to royal_girl14

Frank Skrein didn't drive Julia home that afternoon as planned because she insisted she wanted to stay

Frank Skrein didn't drive Julia home that afternoon as planned because she insisted she wanted to stay. Whether it was because of her interest in polo or that Williams kid playing the polo, he couldn't tell. He didn't want to, all right. If it was the former, he would say he was surprised. The latter, however, didn't strike as something good to think about.

They were in the stable, Julia and Skrein, hiding from the warming sunlight. The large shed was made of weathered oak planks with a sloping ridged iron roof. The cheering of the audience watching the polo match was faint. It smelled damp in here. Half empty hay nets hung limply in the corner. Door hinges creaked in slight wind.

Julia was hovering over her horse, her pale slim hand over the animal's shiny metallic coat while it drank from an almost empty black plastic bucket of water.

Skrein was only trying to do his job.

"Miss Julia, Mrs. Eden specifically told me to get you home by..." he trailed off when Julia spoke, her jewel-like blue eyes on his.

"Skrein, I will be here until the match finishes. You can drive me home with dad." Her face was expressionless as if she had just had the last word.

She did have the last word. Right now, she wanted to be with Chanel. Her father was in the lounging area, gambling with a Russian oligarch, trying to guess who'd make the last goal. She didn't want to be there when her father would lose a large amount of money and grow visibly red in front of everyone, including Peter Williams.

Skrein, defeated, left the stable. It was eerily silent since all the other horses were being pampered for the match. At the end of each chukker or break, each player dismounted and got on a fresh horse. At the higher levels, the professionals were switching horses every three to four minutes, maybe more, to keep the fresh horse advantage. Such cruelty!

If Robert Eden, Robbie, as Julia called her twin, was alive and here, he would've been mocking her for her love for horses. Robbie disliked Chanel to an extreme level and for Chanel, the feeling was mutual. But Julia never understood how to tell him that apart from Robbie, Chanel was her closest friend as a child, even closer than Noah Clarke, Darien Pryce and Olivia Portman. Robbie, however, was a cheerful kid, with many friends and admirers, the complete opposite of Julia, her father's favorite twin.

And he wasn't the only child her parents lost.

Narcissa Dunne had Keith Eden in the eighties when she was approximately nineteen years old, unmarried, young, beautiful and in love. Her parents probably used the term 'lost her mind' instead. Even now when Julia contemplated, she could imagine Grandpa Dunne clutching at her golden hair, pushing her against her tiny bed, telling her that he hoped she would die.