f o u r t y _ t h r e e : exams and anxiety

Exams had arrived finally as October started gleaming in the sunlight

Exams had arrived finally as October started gleaming in the sunlight. Fortunately, the teachers weren't setting homeworks to them. Now they were revising whatever they had been facing as courseworks for those exam.

Luke Dean felt feverish the morning of his maths exam, almost tempted to email an application. But June Dean wouldn't approve sadly. Instead, he waited for the first thirty minutes to pass, so that he could run to take the bus. He had caught the habit from James, his ex from Quinceraven when September started. He would take the first bus and when it would pass by St. James square, Luke would hop in and be the first one to step out from the bus between both of them. Quinceraven was an hour away from Pristine Academy.

Last night, he had told Jonathan to drive him and today when he woke, Jonathan was already gone. At least, he could blame it on his twin if he turned out to be late. Well, Poppy had asked if she could drive him in the group-chat but he had declined.

Truth to be told, he wasn't going to be late. He knew any bus he would take from St. James would pass by Hammersmith in less than twenty minutes. He still had thirty minutes before the copies were distributed among the students, not even the questions. And not just that. He was late because he didn't want to face James by taking the first bus.

Luke slid in the second bus that went to Hammersmith, taking a break from the sunshine that was too bright for October. He had stood with his face turned up into that sunshine for a moment, feeling grateful to have missed James and be in time for the next bus. Also, the fact that it wasn't raining like the whole week helped. He felt as tall as the Gherkin and then he sighed when he was reminded of the exams.

Luke found himself sliding towards the back of the bus, finding no seats at the front. There wasn't any empty at the back either.

But there was a very cute guy standing a feet away, a bit shorter than Luke, holding the pole, his knuckles purplish and bruised. Luke felt blood rushing under his cheeks as the guy reached up to rake a hand through his golden curls absentmindedly. His eyes were on the screen of his phone while his left hand clutched the pole between them. Luke contemplated reaching for the same pole for a split second. But when those eyes met his, the blood that had rose on his face drained down immediately at the familiarity.

Cameron Clarke stood, his golden curls a cloud around his head, his eyes a honey-brown. He wore his uniform this time instead of nothing but a swimming trunk he had worn the last time.

But Luke didn't care now. When a cute guy was your friend’s younger brother, he became a cute kid and nothing else. Also, Cameron wouldn't be into boys, would he?

Getting ahead of yourself, Lookey.

Hopeless emotions made him so heady that he didn't listen what Cameron had uttered just seconds ago.

“What?” Luke croaked.

“Done with your revision? Noah was still poring over his copies when I walked out,” Cameron smiled sheepishly.