e i g h t e e n : make it more obvious

dedicated to @acheairs because your constructive feedbacks always helped me get through finishing Here's to Us. <3

"Why were you following me that morning?"

At Darien's question, Ibrahim only frowned. First of all, they were in the Hyde Park, a very public place. Second of all, there was no place to sit close to the Princess Diana Memorial fountain, near which they stood. And last but not least important, she always had to look so pretty, even in a shapeless Alexander Wang sweater and a denim pinafore dress that stopped a good few inches above her knees, showcasing her great long legs.

"How about a hello first, Darien?" He smiled at her, almost robotically, his pink lips stretching only slightly. But it was those eyes that told her that the smile wasn't fake. They were so dark and warm.

"I asked you something." Darien smiled back at him, her plump rosy lips curving rather sarcastically as she tapped her black Balenciaga leather boots on the grass impatiently. She was not wearing heels and Ibrahim was towering over her ridiculously, in his black peacoat, and black jeans. No hoodie. His black hair almost touched the flushed bulbous tip of his straight nose.

"How about we hire a boat at the Serpentine and then talk?"

"How about a no?" Darien shoved both hands in the pockets of her pinafore dress aggressively and glared at him. Ibrahim, however, bent down and sat right there on the grass, crossing his legs to get comfortable. Embarrassed, Darien looked around.

The only people they could see around here had been feeding the swans in the lake, but now they were looking at them. Of course, there was nothing strange about sitting on grass. But when it was a no-seating area, it was. Darien, unable to hide her irritation, hissed, "Could you not embarrass me for once in your life, Nizami?"

"Well, whatever makes you sleep at night," the boy only shrugged and got on his feet, swatting on the jeans to get rid of the dust. He held out his other hand to her and Dee stared at it. It was large compared to hers and she wondered if his skin was cool to touch just like he was. "Let's take a walk then."

She nodded but didn't take his hand. Ibrahim smiled to her back as she lead the way. When they reached the nearest parking lot, Darien sat on one of the cast iron wooden benches with a picturesque view of the Serpentine. Fleet of rowing, pedal boats and a solarshuttle, a magnificent vessel which glided silently across the lake powered only by the sun, were visible from where she sat. Ibrahim sat beside her, keeping a distance she would approve of. She bit her lip to stifle a smile when he threw a look at her and moved away a little more.

"Now what were you saying?" He squared his shoulder, all businesslike. For all she knew, he was already managing half of Nurul Nizami's important deals. She couldn't imagine him in a serious mood, talking with adults and making a difference. But just this morning at Liv's house, she had seen him talking. And it was illuminating and well, hot. "I know I am hot. But that doesn't mean you have to make it more obvious, Pryce."