f o u r t y_ s i x : not her place

ps : it's the probably the longest time that passed without any updates from me. and i'm sorry for this. hope this update makes up for it.

 hope this update makes up for it

Mike had called again. Shitshow? That was what it was. Her ex calling after a year? Yes, that was what it was.

Poppy hadn't believed herself when she started crying in the locker room, thinking about what had happened last night. It was raining outside and she remembered when she was a kid, what her mother used to say, "Poppy, the sky is crying because you're sad." She had called Luke after that, knowing that she was supposed to be mad at him.

"He called, Luke. What am I supposed to do?" Tears had run down her cheek, warm and cold at the same time.

"Everything will be alright, Poppy. Things happen in relationships," Luke had said.

"What relationship? Mike and I broke up years ago." Her tears had miraculously stopped at how stupid she had felt then.

He hadn't even been listening.

And later in the next day, when she told the girls about this, none of them knew how to respond.

"What was he doing then?" Darien asked.

"Texting his girlfriend," Poppy said nothing further after that.

"Ibrahim called me to say that Luke and he talked about it. Luke is refusing to meet up for a confrontation," Darien said, sitting down on the bench and slipping on her sandals. Her feet still hurt from the trainers she had wore today at the practice.

"I guess he's afraid he'll have to face the truth if we confront him and Cassidy together," Julia spoke, shutting her locker.

"It's fine. Let them be. At least, Darien and Ibrahim, are in good terms now," Liv's voice reached them from the end of the aisle of lockers. She stood, clad in a printed blue jumpsuit, frizzy hair flowing behind her back.

"What are you doing here?" Julia asked, shoving her lipstick in her bag. "Come here. Do you want to got to Costa?"

"Just hanging around." She flashed a mirthless smile. "No, it's fine. I came here to discuss my ballet rehearsal schedule with the headmistress. Got to cut a few classes off." A pause. "Cas came to see me today."

"And?" Julia rose her eyebrows while all of their attention strained on her.

"She's been fucking Luke on and off for weeks. She only stayed with me because she wanted to be in the squad," Liv chuckled, an unamused look crossing her when she sat on the bench, her hands on her thighs over her printed blue pants.

Nobody spoke because they didn't actually know what to say. They didn't want to pity her.

"Do you know Cas and I went further than I ever did with George?" Liv spoke, her teeth pulling at her thumbnail.

It kind of surprised the girls. They hadn't been together for long, Cassidy and Liv. The thought of them having sex never crossed each of their mind.

"No, we didn't have sex by the way." She reclined on the bench, her feral red curls pooling down the edge to touch the floor.

Looking at the booths, Julia listened to the water running, smelling the lavender drifting from the booth Michelle was in, her eyes dashing along the rubbery blue curtains. Facing Liv was the last thing she could do right now.