t w o : fluttering creatures

song: mypet - pays to know

dedicated to nive1997. Thanks Nivedita for being so devoted to my works.

______________

"I think I'll probably write him a letter

"I think I'll probably write him a letter. I mean, he didn't specify everything when he said no contacting, right? Besides, he won't be in college until next week," Liv said, as they exited the store.

Crowd thronged the James Street, the blinding sunlight overhead causing them to squint their eyes. Three of them slipped inside the standby uber immediately.

Darien's initial thought was to ignore Liv's words. She had problems of her own. She clutched her cell phone tightly at that thought. But words were forming in her mind already.

"You do believe that you stink of desperation, don't you? Besides, what do you even see in George? He failed his Upper Sixth twice. He is so..." Dee couldn't find the right words.

"Old, you mean?" Julia filled in for her, smirking behind the pale Michael Kors gift bag. 

Dee had purchased a Silver Metallic Leather Biker Jacket while Liv stuck to a Leather Cross body of soft pink; very feminine. Julia, however, chose to buy a mid size Camille Pavé Gold-Tone Watch. Of course, it was a morally flat world in which brands had value more than skin. It didn't matter that they didn't know Poppy Gupta's younger sister, the supposed birthday girl. This was how they had to set standards. Three gift bags lied on their laps.

"But I like older men." Liv's small, heart-shaped face contorted into a scowl. The fake lashes on her right eye twitched nastily in the process, causing her to close that eye. Taking it for a wink, the pretty old uber driver winked right back through the rearview mirror which she certainly didn't notice.

"We carry pepper sprays for the wandering eyes," Dee announced, her voice uncharacteristically loud, her eyes fixed on the roof of the car interior.

The uber driver straightened in his seat.

Liv frowned at Julia, "What are you smirking about, Julia?"

"Nothing." Julia's response was immediate while she wiped the smile right off her face to feign innocence.

Liv twirled a shiny, red curl around her finger and continued, "I suppose the Rolls Royce back there is rather old."

"Rolls...?" Darien leaned forward, to look at Liv who sat on the other side of Julia. Her brown eyes flashed with realization.

"She means my rescuer back at the Bishop's Avenue," Julia explained, her eyes on her French-manicured-nails. Fortunately enough, her iPhone beeped, followed by another beep from Dee's phone. Both of them shared a look before unlocking their patterns.