"What are you doing?" I wiped at my tears once again.

"Trying to open the window. We can't exactly walk out the front doors after the bell." I hadn't noticed the bell, but it must have already rung.

"Here," I pushed Ally's hands away. I quickly pressed the two buttons and pushed the glass until the window opened. Why there was no screen on the window I'd never figure out, but at that moment, I was happy there wasn't one.

"This way, come on," we heard Vince's voice outside the door.

"Why should I go anywhere with you?" Vince opened the door as Justin slurred through the question. "You're the one she cheated on me with!"

"Because right now you need help and you're still my best friend."  Vince heaved him into a chair. I tried to back further away, but found myself into the corner.

"I'll take him," Ally said to Vince ignoring whatever Justin was saying in the background. If I focused on them, I couldn't hear Justin accuse me of cheating. "My first hour teacher's pretty chill. Plus I can always give him a girl excuse." I stifled a laugh at the uncomfortable look on Vince's face.

"Okay, I'll get excused for the day by the nurse. Take him to my house, no one will be home, I'll meet you there soon." Vince hurried out of the room. If he didn't make it to the nurse soon he would need a pass.

"Shoot!" Ally said to herself more than to anyone else. "I don't have my car."

"Here," I tossed her my keys and then hurried out of the room. Justin hadn't noticed I was there until I spoke and I really didn't want to hear him call me a cheater, even if he was drunk.

I didn't see any of them again until lunch when Ally took the seat next to me. "Want to talk about it?" She whispered to me. I shook my head shoving the pasta around on my plate. "Well then I think we need a girl's night!"

"Yeah," I immediately perked up seeing a great opportunity. "Want to come over after school since your ride's not here?"

"Sure, I'll text my mom and ask." She quickly tapped away on her cell phone.

"Are you hungry?" I wasn't and I just couldn't seem to sit still. "Want to go for a walk?"

"Sure, I'll just eat during next hour." We got up and Ally gave a quick excuse to the rest of our table.

We walked down the main hall, then off to a smaller one and past a classroom with an open door before I spoke. "So, what'd he tell you?"

We stopped at the end of the hallway. "That Vince is cheating on me with you." Her honesty was refreshing.

"How'd you respond?"

"I told him he was being ridiculous and that there's a reason Vince knows something he doesn't. I told him that when you're ready, he will know." For once in my life, my body was empty. No air was coming through my open mouth, my brain couldn't find a thought and I was pretty sure even a pulse would've been hard to find. "Oh don't give me that look. Vince tells me everything."

"Everything?"

"He told me you confided in him and asked him not to tell. He offered to tell me, we don't keep any secrets, but I said no. If you wanted me to know, you would tell me." I felt a twinge of guilt because she knew I was keeping something from her.

"Thanks," was all I could muster. I pulled her into a hug.

"Of course. Obviously I knew he wasn't cheating on me. Every time he was with you, he'd text me 'project bridge'."

"Project bridge?"

"Yeah, he said it was kinda like helping you build a bridge between your old life and your new one here!"

What she said stuck with me after the bell rang for us to go to class and even after the last bell of the day. I thought it over as Ally and I walked towards my car and by the time we got to the old green bridge, it was all I could think of. Bridges allow people to go back and forth, but I can't go back. I can't go back to my old life.

"Earth to Emma!" Ally stood in the open driver's door.

"Huh?" I hadn't realized I drove us all the way home and was now parked in my driveway.

"I shouldn't've let you drive." She walked up towards the house. I pulled the keys out and quickly followed. "Nana!" Ally said as she walked in the door. "Mmm, it smells delicious!"

"Hi Ally!" Grandma was as cheery as always. "Hi Emma, I thought Justin was coming over?"

Ally quickly came up with something. "Well Vince and him are having some guy time, so we thought we'd have some girl time and to tell you the truth, ours will definitely be better because we have some of your homemade cookies!"

Full Copyright 2014

Edited 5/26/15