Chapter 5

"Wake up, Lexi," I hear a voice tell me. I shake the arm off of me, & turn to face the other way. It must be morning, but I don't want to wake up. It's my day off dang it! "C'mon Lexi get up!" Bella shakes me, while I continue to ignore her. "Come on in Hunter!" My eyes bolt open, as I quickly sit up, looking to see Hunter stride in the doorway. Bella smirks at me. "Good luck Hunter, she is NOT a morning person." I glare at her as she walks out, closing the door behind her & leaving me & Hunter alone. I look at Hunter, while he looks at me.

"I'm going back to sleep," I say as I snuggle further under my blanket. I'm only wearing a halter top & shorts, not exactly something I need him to see, seeing as awkward as things already are. I hide my face under the blanket as well, so I don't have to face him. I really don't need to hear the 'I'm back with Bailey talk.' I couldn't bear the news, especially on a morning. As you can tell so far, I really am not a morning person.

"Lexi," Hunter says softly. I feel as he sits on the edge of the bed, careful to not sit on me. "You ran off yesterday, then never returned my call. I was worried about you." I admit, a little part of my heart melted that he was worried about me.

"Well...I had to go to work. It was busy so no time for calls." I remain hiden under the cover. What I said wasn't really a lie, I did have to go to work, I just didn't have to run off to it right after seeing him kiss his ex...& it was busy.

"What about after work? You could have called." His voice still sounds soft, & concerned. No hint of anger.

"I was too tired to look at my phone," I lied.

"Lexi, will you please come out from under there?" Hunter asks me. I sigh as I pull the cover down, revealing my head, & instantly regreting doing what he asked. He has the prettiest blue eyes, that would always make it impossible to stay upset. "Thanks," he smiles. Oh, that smile also helps his cause.

"I just wanna get some sleep," I moan. "Can you come back later? If you're not to busy with your piece o-" I stop, realizing I'm saying my thoughts aloud. He laughs. I look at him, puzzled. I was about to say something mean about his girlfriend & he laughs?

He regains himself, then takes a deep breathe. A lump forms in my throat when I see he starts to avoid eye contact. Someone please call an ambulance, i'm about to have my heart broken.

As soon as he leaves, I let the tears I've been holding in fall. Everything that just happened in the last couple of minutes replay in my mind.

"I know I had once said I never wanted anything to do with Bailey again. I know what I said, & I meant it at the time. But," Hunter stops, taking another deep breathe. "But, Bailey & I are back together. I'm sorry you had to see what you saw yesterday, I would rather have told you 1st." He brushes his hand through his blonde hair, looking at the floor. Without another word, he gets up & leaves.

I put my face into the pillow & cry. It's not the fact that he likes her instead of me that gets me upset like this. It's the fact she broke his heart, & could do it just as easy again. I could tell from when I bumped into her at the mall, that she was still heartless. She liked the power of being able to hurt people. When we were friends, I would watch her use that power on others. All I did was pray that she would never give that wicked smile in my direction.

Well, that prayer was unanswered. But I'm so thankful it was, because eventually I would get sick of her mean ways.

I hide myself in my blanket as I hear a knock on the door.

"Lexi?" Bella asks. Pretending to be asleep, I remain silent. I don't want to explain why I've been crying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------