Chapter 34

After I gasp, I turn away & run farther into the woods to get away from him. I know it isn't smart, but I'm not going towards the road, where the guy who left for a call is loitering about. 

So, it's the two guys I met at the restaurant that have kidnapped me. Was it all some kind of plot? Them 'consoling' me about my 'cheating' boyfriend? Why do they want to split us up so freakin' bad? 

Finding myself still running, I make myself slow to a stop to see if anyone is following. Doesn't look like it, so I turn to head towards the road, where it shouldn't be near those guys. 

"Get back here, bitch!" His voice calls out, but thankfully from a good distance away. I can't help but start to question myself. Is going towards the road a good idea, or will they just find me? But if I do go, then maybe a driver will help me. Ugh, so many different outcomes could come. 

I rest my back against the tree, trying to get air into my overworked lungs. Gah, how far did the guys take me into the woods? Looking ahead, all I can see is woods for miles. What if I'm lost? No, I can't be. At least, I'm pretty sure I'm not. 

Stepping away from the tree, I start to jog to keep a good pace. The faster I'm out of here, the better. But, there is a huge problem I might have to deal with. Looking up, the sun is already getting ready to go down. It must be around 6, so it'll be getting dark out soon. 

I quicken my pace upon realizing that staying out here in the night might be hell for my not so far future. I haven't heard any voices for a while, so maybe they've given up.

Hunter's POV:

"Hey babe?" I greet as I put my phone in my ear. With my other hand, I set down my cup of coffee on the table in front of me. 

"Hey," she says, clearly nervous about something. 

"What's wrong?" 

"I just want you to know, that I love you." Her voice cracks, filled with emotion. An overwhelming feeling takes over me as panic starts to set in. This can't be good. 

"I love you too but what's wrong?" 

"Nothing. I just wanted you to know that, that's all." Without any warning, the line goes dead after I hear a cracking noise. What the hell just happened?! 

While trying to get my heart to start working, I pull out my wallet & take a small piece of paper out of it. Quickly, I dial in the number on my phone & listen to the other line ring & ring til finally he answers. I'm sure glad I took a card at the front desk of Lexi's apartment building for emergencies.  

"Hello?" Dillon questions. 

"Dillon! Something's wrong with Lexi!" 

"Woah what?! Start talking! Now!" So I explain the phone call to him, & about the loud crack I heard before the line hang up. 

"Crud, all I know is that she was supposed to go to Kristy's after work. I'm going to call her to see if she knows anything." 

"Alright," I say before I hang up. If there's any feeling that I hate more than anything, it's feeling useless. & let me tell you, sitting here states away from my girlfriend who could be in danger, makes me feel nothing but useless. 

If I can't be there to protect her.. then how will this long distance thing work?

Lexi's POV:

I'm so tired. With all the branches & rocks in the way, & with the night time sky coming in, fumbling comes natural to me now. I'm positive there are cuts & scrapes all over my legs, maybe even a couple on my face from bumping into a branch face first. Once when I heard a twig behind me snap & I took off, I tripped over who knows what. It felt like I twisted my ankle, so I'm limping. Looking ahead, finally a road comes into view. A smile stretches across my face as I try to speed over to it as fast as I can with my bad leg. 

Managing to get myself over there, I look both ways to see no cars coming. Ok, so it looks like I'm walking back to town. Only problem is, which way do I head?

Dillon's POV:

"Her car is in the parking lot though, so where is she?!" I grit my teeth, clutching the phone to my ear as I stare at her car. 

"Something terrible's happened. You hang up right now & call the police, alright?" Kristy demands, trying to stay level headed, but there's clear panic in her voice.  

"Alright," I hang up & dial 911. 

The operator says she'll send the police over after I explain some, so I go over the front of the building & slide down it til I'm sitting against it. I can't believe this is happening. 

It isn't more than 10 minutes later when a police car pulls up. A black man steps out, tipping his hat at me as a greeting. 

"You Dillon, the guy that called?" He asks as he shuts his door & walks over to me. I bring myself up so that I'm standing & nod. "Alright, why don't you explain so I can write it all down?" He offers, so that's what I do. From Hunter's call about how she was acting strange & the phone going dead, to Lexi's car being here without it's owner. 

"So where is this Hunter guy? I'll need to talk to him." 

"Well he's currently touring the country," I explain as I begin taking out a piece of paper from my pocket. "But here's his phone number." I'm glad I wrote it down when he called me. 

Handing it over, I notice his eyebrows raise, not knowing what to think of the touring thing. 

"Uh, ok, thank you, sir. Although we can't file an official missing person report til after 24 hours, I'm fairly certain that there is something fishy going on, so I'll work right on the investigation." 

"Thank you so much Officer," I say with a sincere grateful smile, partially relieved. Having suspected that there was some sort of rule about waiting 24 hours, I was a little hesitant going right to the police. But this guy seems like he legit cares. 

He gives a nod. "I'll go back to the station, with this information I'm sure I won't be the only one that suspects foul play." Involuntarily, I gulp. Foul play. After a nod, he leaves, leaving me to wonder what has happened to Lexi. What I want to know is who would take, yet alone hurt, sweet innocent Lexi?

*That was a lot of point of view changes, but I hope you guys still liked it?*