Chapter 44

*Pic of Steve :)*

Hunter's POV:

I walk out of the bunk area, yawning as I sleepily rub my closed left eye. Looking around, I notice that everyone is sitting, looking far too solumn to be my band mates. Then my eyes land on Lexi, who looks even more so. My heart stops pumping for a moment as the look in her eyes confirm that something's wrong. Because she has fear in them.

I try to speak, but nothing comes out of my mouth. She notices my presence & puts on a little smile, obviously tring to appear ok. She may be happy to see me, but she's scared. She pats the open seat next to her, & I silently obey her unspoken wish.

I look up at her, & notice that since she's seen me come in the room some of the color has returned to her face. I'm not trying to sound egotistical or anything, but I think she likes to have me for comfort or support. Especially for whatever has happened.

Looking around, my bandmates give me encouraging nods & smiles.

"They know I'm on tour with you." I blink at the sudden outburst, returning my gaze to Lexi. Once again, no noise comes from my mouth. I just stare at her blankly, feeling my jaw clentch.

"How did they find out?" I ask, trying to hold my anger back. It's not her I'm angry with, it's me. An uncontrollable amount of guilt & self anger washes over me as I look at the girl I'm insanly in love with. They're after her because she wouldn't break my heart. They know where she is, on tour with me. I took her here.

"They broke into the apartment building & stole my files.. which stated that I'm currently traveling the country.."

"Who's the jerk who put he file in there, knowing all this was happening?" Her eyes look away & onto the floor. "It was Dillon, wasn't it?" My fists clentch. He should have known better then to write down a huge clue for the enemy.

"It's mandatory, Hunter! He has to keep records for everybody living there," she explains, clearly trying to remain calm & rational. I take deep breaths, knowing my anger won't get me anywhere. She puts her hand on my knee, & I can feel my anger slowly vanish at her tender touch. My guilt however, doesn't. "So..." She trails off, her eyes looking around at all of us. "Where's our next stop at?"

"Nashville," Matt smiles. "We left at about 6:30, so we still got a good... 7 hours til we arrive!"

"Dang.." I hear her whisper, a look of bewilderment in her eyes. Unable to help myself, I chuckle.

"How about a movie day?" I suggest, which everyone quickly agrees to.

----------------------------

"Maybe you should stay on the bus so you're safe?" I suggest to Lexi as I slip my guitar over my head, adjusting the sash.

"But I like watching you guys," she pouts, already starting the puppy eyes. Damn her irresistable cuteness.

"I don't know Lex. I'm worried now that those creeps can just pop out whenever. What if something happens while I'm performing?"

"Isn't there some back room for the performers to chill while they wait? What if I just stay there? That way I can see y'all on their tv."

"Well.."

"Pwetty pwease," she pleads, batting her long, thick eyelashes as her bottom lip sticks out.

"Fine, as long as you stay in there."

"Yay!" I chuckle at her excitement, & smile at how much she wants to see us perform.

"Find a seat somewhere while we set up, alright?" I ask, watching as she nods her head in agreement. I go over to Steve & help him set his drum set up.

"So, you & Lexi seem to be really into each other," he says, starting up conversation.

"Yeah, I wanna spend the rest of my life with her."

"I'm really happy for you, bro. The way she looks at you, we can all tell that she feels the same way." A big smile makes it's way onto my face.

"Thanks dude."

Lexi's POV:

I lean my head back against the couch, enjoying it's extra softness. On the wall across from me hangs the television that I can see the stage from. Hunter & the guys are due to come on anytime now.

Closing my eyes, I start to wonder how Hunter can stay on that bus for such long periods of time. It's weird being in a motor vehicle for over 9 hours straight. Just as sleep begins to take over, I hear someone on the tv begin to talk. I peek an eye open, curious. Is it finally him?

"Ladies & gentlemen, I'm pleased to present one of country music's hottest new acts, especially for the ladies," the man grins, tipping his black hat back from his forehead. "Hunter Hayes!" The crowd cheers, & even I have to stop myself from applauding.

Hunter walks out, followed by his band mates. They all take their places on stage while Hunter walks up to the mic, guitar in his hand. He beams as his eyes travel the place, taking in every inch of the crowd.

"Hey guys," he begins, getting his guitar in position. "You may know this song, so sing along if you wanna. I know my girl likes to." My cheeks heat up at his introduction. They start playing, & the familiar tune of Storm Warning comes to my ears.

"She rolled in from the west in a summer sun dress hotter than the heat in July. With her wind blown hair it just wasn't fair the way she was blowin' my mind," he sings as I mouth the words & bob my head to the music.

All of a sudden a loud bang makes me jump off the couch, eyes wide in alarm. I grit my teeth as pain goes through my leg. Heartbeat skyrocketing, I look over to the other side of the room to see the window wide open. The wind whistles loudly, so I guess that it was so strong it pushed it open. I hope. Grabbing my crutches, I begin walking over to it, still unable to calm my thumping heart. As I get closer to the window, I notice that it's gotten dark outside so I can hardly see a thing.

I try pushing the window back closed, but the wind is fighting me. Growling in frustration, I anxiously bite my lip in suspense. A litte too hard as I feel blood start to drizzle out.

I feel if this was a movie, the suspenseful horror music would be going off right now. Or the jaws music, maybe.

Ignoring the window problem, I walk back to the couch. I need to calm down, if not for my sake then Hunter's. Earlier he already seemed angry enough at the situation, so I can't let it show that it's affecting me.

As long as I pretend it's fine, maybe things will turn out fine. Who knows?

*Meant to say it before but thank you to everybody who's followed me! Had a goal to get to 100 followers by my bday, June 29 & yet y'all got me to 103 with months to spare. Blows my mind.