Chapter 43

*Pic of Sam*

Dillon's POV:

"If you don't want to stay here, then just stay in Lexi's apartment while she's gone," I explain, trying to keep my calm. Standing before me is a flustered Kristy, who wants to go back to staying at her apartment tonight. Nothing I say about how dangerous it is is getting through her hard head, though.

"I just- it's just- ugh. No I'm going back to where I live- because that's it. Where I LIVE. Besides, Jason would be confused if he comes over & I'm not there."

"He's dangerous, Kristy."

"I'll just stop provoking him."

"None of it is your fault, damn it!" She flinches at my raised voice, making me take a deep breath before continuing in a calmer tone. "He's the one who hurts you. It doesn't matter what you do, he shouldn't hurt you. No real man ever hurts a woman."

"It's not his fault," she says, her voice cracking. "Whenever he thinks about.. what happened.. he drinks, & he just loses it. It's just grief."

"It's not your fault either, which is why you can't let him treat you like that." She closes her eyes, shaking her head.

"Do you think those 2 guys are going to go after Lexi on tour?" She asks, clearly changing the subject. I sigh, knowing we'd have to talk about that at some point anyway.

"I have no idea. We just have to keep an eye out to see if their looking for her. If we don't see anything suspicious, then they've given up or are after her." As I talk, she walks towards the window, looking out besides the dark green curtains. Her fingers run over the smooth silk, rubbing over the fabric slowly as she looks outside. Her eyebrows scrunch together in confusion.

"I've never seen that black car parked here before," she observes.

"Black car?" I question as I step beside her, noticing that she moves a bit farther from me.

"Yeah. Right there, see?" Sure enough, there is an unfamiliar black car parked out front. Something stirs inside of me, something that I can't place. I watch as someone walks out of the passenger door, wearing a long black coat, hat & sunglasses so I can't indentify them.

"Let's go!" I call as I turn around quickly, heading out the door.

"Is that them?!" Kristy calls from right behind me.

"I don't know!" As soon as we leave the apartment, we run down the hall towards the elevator. Once there, I groan loudly. Out of order.

"Stairs!" Kristy yells, already a few feet ahead of me. It's going to be a few flights of stairs, aka a few flights of hell. It'll be a miracle if we catch him. When we're finally at the lobby, I see him walk out the front door.

"Wait!" I yell. He turns, making me notice the crowbar in his hand, & the file of papers in the other. Once he sees us, he starts running. I instantly chase after him, trying to find something in my pocket that I can hit him with but come up with nothing.

He runs out the door, with me not far behind him. The passenger door of his car opens up, & he dives in, instantly shutting the door behind him. I beat against the window, seeing as the door is locked, & scream but they take off. Oh, the license plate is missing so there goes that.

"Damn it," I mutter under my breathe, well, what little I have left anyway.

"Dillon?" A female voice from behind questions, & I turn to see Kristy in the doorway, looking pale & confused. "You may want to see this." I follow her in, already having an idea of what has her worked up. The guy had to get that file from somewhere & I have a bad feeling that I know where.