Chapter 1

"What's up Hayes?" I ask, walking up beside him on our small town sidewalk. The slight breeze blows my long dark blonde hair, & I push it back to the left side of my neck to get it out of my way. Hunter smiles at me, his features lighting up. I was just walking without a care in the world when I saw him a little bit ahead of me, much to my delight, & so here we are. Talking like old friends, because in reality, I've been blessed to be able to say that we are.

"Hey Lexi," he smiles, his light blue eyes sparkling in the afternoon sunlight. "Just going to go get something to eat, wanna come with?"

"Sure." My heart can't help but flutter with anticipation inside my chest. We've been friends for all of these years, yet every single thing he does still fascinates me to no end. Every part of him amazes me. His short blonde hair, always so perfectly spiked up. His blue eyes, gorgeous enough to put the ocean to shame. His smile, which out brightens the sun any day. I bet I could compare him to every little part of nature with no trouble.

Soon enough we find ourselves seated in a McDonald's booth. It's no 5 star dining, but if he's here then it's Heaven to me. Besides, they have the best french fries, without a doubt. 5 star can't beat that.

"Just a little while more til your tour begins," I say as I reach into the box to get a fry. I'm going to miss him like crazy. It's not hard to believe that his dreams are finally coming true since he's so talented, believe it or not he can play nearly any instrument you give him. I'm so happy for him, but still, I can't help but feel sad that I won't get to see him for a few months. It breaks my heart thinking about it, because we've never been apart for more than a little while.

"Yeah," he begins, his face lighting up just at the mention of it. "I'm so stoked to get this thing finally rolling. & I really can't wait to meet the amazing fans. They've been really supportive." I smile, feeling pride in my veins at the boy sitting in front of me. Everyone in town is proud of Hunter.

We walk out of the restaurant together, about to go our separate ways sadly. Til we meet again, I suppose.

"See ya later?" I ask, hopeful as I stick my hands in my jeans pockets.

"Most definitely," he beams. "Bye Lex." He begins walking the other way as I fight the urge to tag along. In my defense, he can make anyone wanna follow him. He's one of the happiest & brightest people you'll ever meet, & you just want to be around it.

I continue walking down the street, thinking about Hunter leaving. It wouldn't be so hard if I never developed those dang feelings for him. When I first started liking him more than a friend, it was about...ok, I admit it, I've always had a thing for him. From the first moment I saw him, my heart started leaping at the thought or sight of him. Took a bit to figure out that I wasn't going to die, it was just my heart's attraction. My feelings only got stronger as the years went by. Yeah, I did go out on dates with other guys, but that's because Hunter probably doesn't like me that way so I had to get on with my life. I've had my fair share of heart breaks, but he's probably my biggest one. He'll always be my biggest one.

Finally in front of my home, I find myself smiling. My house is a small one story brick building, with simply 3 bedrooms & a bathroom. There is a small white picket fence separating us from the neighbors, but we've always greeted each other when we see each other outside.

Walking inside the doorway, I see my mom sitting on the black, leather couch watching the television set with an intense expression on her face. Uh oh, she's wearing a college shirt, which means some sport is on.

"Hey Lexi," she smiles, patting the spot next to her for me to sit at.

"Hi Mom," I say as I sit next to her. She's watching college baseball, I observe as I take in the screen. "How we doin?"

"We're winning, 10-4. 4th inning," she says proudly. I sit & watch the rest of the game with her, pleased when they end up winning. 23-10 is pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I walk over to my bedroom, passing by my younger sister's room in the process. 15 years old, she looks like me in a lot of ways. Her blonde hair is a little bit lighter than mine, but she has my green eyes. Deciding to pop my head in, I smile as I greet her.

"Heeey," I say, looking around her green room. It's basically like any average teenage girl's bedroom; having band posters on the walls, some clothes scattered messily on the floor despite when their mothers yell at them to pick it up, & a couple of stuffed animals on her blue bed.

"Hey Lexi," Bella smiles before I continue to the comfort of my own room. Plopping down on my bed, I sigh. I have work tomorrow.

I'm a waitress at a sea food restaurant, called Bob's Sea Fillet. Yeah, weird name, I know. But, don't count on me being a waitress forever. I'll do anything but that for my career.

"Hey Lexi," Bella says walking into my room. "Can I talk to you?"

"Duh," I smirk, sitting up on my bed.

"It's about this guy.." Aw, my 15 year old sister has a crush. She's always acted like she doesn't care about relationships or anything related, but I knew the day would come. She is my sister, after all.

"I can't tell if he likes me or not. I've tried finding out, but it's impossible."

"Have you asked him?"

"Nah. Then it would be obvious."

"Well it's better than just sitting & wondering," I say. "Just kind of say something about someone else liking someone, then ask him, so it won't seem too obvious."

"That's a good idea, so you've asked Hunter who he likes?"

"Why would I do that?"

"Oh come on. Everyone knows you like him." I suck in a breath, biting on my lip nervously.

"Is it that obvious?" I blush, not meeting her gaze. She nods her head, smirking.

"Do something bout it, woman," she says before she walks out. Letting out a deep sigh, I lie down on my back on my cozy bed. Maybe it's time to start listening to my own advice.