Chapter 28

*I know you guys probably hate me after that last chapter but think of it this way! Every rainbow needs some rain first..*

I sit in a booth, letting silent tears fall down my face. Kristy is sitting across from me, holding my hands in hers because she doesn't know what to say. It's still a comforting gesture though, & it makes me wonder how I got so lucky to get such an awesome friend. 

"We get off of work in about 40 minutes anyway, so why don't you just get home? I just texted Dillon to come get you." I smile up at her, feeling bad for leaving her a little early. 

"Thanks. Did you tell him?" I ask, wondering if she texted the whole story. She shakes her head. 

"I wouldn't know how to put it. Tell you what, I know that you don't want to say it, so when he gets here you get to the car & I'll try to explain." 

"Sounds good to me." She smiles a little. 

"I'll go get you a drink," Kristy announces before she gets up to go to the kitchen. My eyes fall back to the table as my brain still processes all of this. It doesn't feel right. It just feels...off. Must be because I don't know the whole story, but really, what's more to know? I know he'll be calling me later, so I'll just have to spit it out & hope he's not a speedy liar. 

"Hey, you ok?" The beefy guy sits down across from me, concern written on his face. The other guy slides in right next to him. 

"Uh, yeah. I'm sorry, I've been a lousy waitress. Do you guys need something?" I ask, looking up at them. 

"We're fine. Just tell me what's up." It wasn't a question, it was a demand. His dark eyes still look scary, though. 

"My boyfriend.. he uh, well, you saw for yourself. He was just on the tv." 

"Hunter Hayes is your boyfriend?" He raises an eyebrow, but other than that doesn't show any real surprise. I nod. 

"Babe, you got looks working for you. But the chances of him being faithful while out on the road are one in a million," the guy with gauges explains. That's always been my problem. I always saw him as the one. "I can help you get over him though." His green eyes darken as he once again roll his tongue over his lip. 

"Uh.. I'm fine, thanks." 

"That, you are." Without another word, they both just get up & leave, not bothering to give me a second glance. 

Instantly, Kristy sits in his place, sliding a coke across the table to me. 

"Two hot guys just sat with you. I'll say things are going to be alright." For some reason, that doesn't make me feel better. 

"What's happened?" Dillon shouts, running through the doors. The moment his eyes lie on a crying me, he runs over & wraps his arms around me. The next words spilled out of my lips before I can even think about it. 

"He cheated on me," I whisper, leaning my head against his chest. It suddenly stiffens. 

"He did what now?!" He growls out, holding onto me even tighter. 

"The tv.. it showed a pic of him kissing another girl." 

"Are you sure it was him?" 

"It was him, Dill. " 

"That asshole.." he mutters, angrily. 

"I'm going to call him, later.. I don't know the whole story. Maybe...it was a misunderstanding." 

"Maybe it is," Kristy adds, trying to stay positive, probably for my sake. Dillon doesn't say anything more, but he pulls away & push some hair out of my eyes. 

"Let's head on home to stuff our faces with junk food, yeah?" A small smile creeps onto my face as I nod eagerly.

-- 

Laughing at the comedy that's on the tv, a green skittle that I had just put in my mouth falls out. Clearly noticing my little blunder, Dillon laughs from besides me. I playfully glare at him, earning an amused smirk. 

We've been hanging out at his apartment for the evening, & I have to admit, I feel better. As long as I don't think about it, anyway. 

"Thanks for all this," I say, feeling the need to let him know how grateful I am. He shakes his head as if dismissing me. 

"I just wish he treated you with the respect you deserve, Lexi. If it is how it looked, anyway," he shrugs, a sad look on his face. 

At that precise moment, 'I Love You This Big' by Scotty McCreery starts to play from my cell phone, letting me know that Hunter's calling. I've had that song's chorus as his ringtone from the first day I heard & fell in love with it. 

"It's him," I whisper, standing up from my spot on the couch. 

"Do you need me to do anything?" He asks with a worried expression, standing up as well. 

"No.." I shake my head as I open the front door, my finger starting to press answer. "Thanks. But this is something I gotta do alone." He nods in understanding as I walk out & go to my room, putting the phone up to my ear. 

"Hey baby," he cooes, making my heart swell up in my chest. I want it all to stay the same. His face appears in my mind, his baby blue eyes, his soft pink lips, his spiked up blonde hair that always feels amazing to run my hand through. The way he says my name like it's the sweetest thing in the world, the way his strong arms feel when they're around me. The way he tells me he loves me, & the way I used to believe it. 

I can't lose it. I can't lose him. If I can pretend that I never found out, then it'll have to go away, right? With time. It seems he isn't going to bring it up, either, so no worries there. He'll be happy, & I'll still have the love of my life. 

"Hey," I say sweetly, not letting any pain show through. 

"How was your day?" Hesitating, I wonder what I should say. 

"Work seemed to drag on, it was just soo boring, ugh." His laugh brings me a little more back to life. "How about you? How's it feel to be touring the country?" 

He tells me about how amazing it is, how incredible the fans are, how he lost a bet to one of the guys on the band. We joke & do some laughing, just talking about everything. Well, not everything. 

"I guess I should let you get to sleep," he says after about an hour of us talking. "I love you Lexi." The way I don't believe it anymore, but the way he still says my name like it's the sweetest thing in the world. 

"Good night, I love you." I bite my lip after I hear my voice crack. No, I have to stay in control. 

"What's wrong?" I can hear how serious he is. Ok, think fast, Lexi. What can I say.. 

"Nothing, I just really miss you." That's not really a lie when you think about it, I really do miss him terribly. 

"I miss you too. But don't worry, in months time we'll be back together." 

"Better than ever."

*Who wants to help me with cast members?! :) I need Lexi (Yeah I know how could I have waited so long for her?!) Bailey, Bella, Josh, Kristy, & Willis. I'll be looking as well, but suggestions never hurt ;)*