Selfish

"And I don't mind if we take our time
Cause I'm all yours if you're all mine."
- Defeater

...

It was a little bit after his breakfast that the former queen, or Henry's aunt, he supposed, knocked and entered his room with a flourish of her dress, looking as pristine as always. She always had a way of making Victor feel underdressed in his own skin.

"Your highness!"

"Good morning, Victor." The Queen greeted him in her sweet and airy voice, and looked at the wrinkled sheets with an arched eyebrow.

Victor blushed at the disheveled state of his bed and felt like he had to give an explanation even though he wasn't answerable to any of them. Commoners would always behave like commoners in front of royals, he supposed.  "We didn't do anything! I just... sleep like that."

Even though it was the truth, it sounded weak to his own ears. Which pair of fiancés don't enjoy rendezvousing in bed?

Maybe a pair of fake ones.

Nicola let out a sigh and sat beside him. "You don't have to defend things like that. It's more than obvious to me that you and Henry aren't exactly the most... affectionate couple."

Victor looked up at her with a guilt-ridden face. If it was this apparent to her, why would it not be obvious to Louis. Then again, Louis isn't really known for his observational skills throughout the land.

"Why did you run away from home, Victor?" The Queen asked. "Is love really the reason?"

The boy sat taken aback for words. Finally, averting his eyes, he said, "I just want to be with him."

"Victor." Her voice was almost scolding. "I am neither blind, nor am I deaf." Her face then softened. "I am not here to tell you what action to take. I don't even know who exactly you mean by 'him', nor am I going to ridicule you for feeling how you do."

Stopping his oncoming rebuttal with a hand, she continued, "I only want to tell you that... Henry... that boy..." The Queen looked down for a moment before continuing. "All his life, he has been through a lot of pain. He has the kindest soul I have ever seen. I may not be his blood mother, but he is as much of a son of mine as Benjamin is." She got up and patted Victor's shoulder. "He deserves the most happiness. I hope he finds it with you."

Victor sat in shock and puzzlement, unable to find the true meaning of her words.

"Do not break his heart, Victor."

She paused before the door and glanced at his form ever so slightly.

"If you're unable to love him, let him go."

...

Louis sat on the garden chair in his ever present pleasant state of mind. Beside him, Aaron grumbled about being surrounded by too much sunshine and overbearing flowery scents. They saw Victor walking towards them but it seemed as if he was in a daze, trapped in his own mind. Upon reaching them, the boy sat in an unoccupied chair and remained silent.

He glanced at Louis and noticed something. "God, Louis. Why is he such an animal with you?" At Louis' questioning face, he pointed to the younger boy's throat.

Louis brought a hand over his marks and blushed. "Wait until you lay with your husband, and then you will understand." He said indignantly, embarrassed by the choice of words.