Try before you cry

"For goodness sake
I wasn't told
You'd be this cold."
- The 1975

...

"Good morning, Victor."

Victor grunted as he rolled onto his back. "Wha' time issit?" He slurred out, voice heavy with sleep and blocked sobs, he could barely see through his swollen eyes. Last night's crying session had give him a headache. Broken heart or not, he was never going to cry himself to sleep again, he decided. 

"Its a little after noon." Henry informed. "You should get up, I brought tea."

Victor snorted inelegantly and turned over, displaying his sleepy face and half-lidded eyes to his fiancé. "Stop ordering me 'round so early, God damnit."

Henry, having the patience of a saint that he does, chose not to retort and simply put the cup on the bedside table. He sat on the corner of the bed, observing Victor.

Victor felt like he was being watched and opened one eye, not really sneakily, and closed it again. "Can you stop judging me so loudly?"

Henry looked appalled, probably at a loss for words. On second thought, he felt Victor tended to do that a lot to him. Just rendering his ability of speech absolutely useless.

"I... I just... I mean, you look comfortable..."

Victor snorted again, opening both of his eyes this time and blinking to adjust to the daylight of the room. "I cried the whole night before sleeping from exhaustion. I may look comfortable to you but I feel like absolute poo."

Henry sighed. "Well, can I hug you?"

"No! What the hell! Why? We're not in public!"

"You'll feel better." I'll feel better.

"No." Victor's voice was firm.

Henry averted his eyes. "When are you going to accept us?"

Victor sat up, a frown drawn on his face. "There is no us!"

"There can be! If only you stop being childish and accept things the way they are!" Henry said, his normally calm voice rising.

"I'm not being childish!"

"Yes, you are! You just refuse to try this! You refuse to let go of your Louis! Louis this, Louis that! Its always him!-"

"Don't talk about him like that!"

"You will never be happy unless you let go of your childhood love!" Henry was breathing heavier by the end, this action so different than his usual calm nature that it left Victor stunned.

Victor sat, quieted down by those words. He drew his knees up to his chest and rested his cheek on it, looking forlorn.

"I'm trying."

Henry gave him a whimsical smile, a sarcastic tilt to his lips, but his eyes looked sad.  "You're not. Stop lying to yourself." Victor looked ready to argue but Henry cut him off. "Just... drink your tea." He said, his voice calm again.

Victor sniffed, obeyed and picked up the cup. He took a sip, letting it wash the horrible taste that had suddenly settled over his tongue.

"Don't bring tea to my bed. I don't want to be spoiled like you royals." His soothed expression defied his words.

"You're going to be royalty soon, as well."

Victor choked on his tea and stared coughing. I never thought about that!

Henry stroked his back, holding back a smile. When the boy finally stopped coughing, he leaned down and looked Victor in the eye. And for a moment, it seemed to Victor that he was going to be kissed on the lips and his eyes widened, preparing himself to jerk back. Instead, Henry just pecked his forehead and bid him goodbye, telling him to be downstairs for breakfast soon.

Victor sat with a stupid expression on his face for a while before finishing his tea in a single big gulp.

I should have spilled the tea on his face!

...

"I want to ask your permission to marry your son, Mr. Cailloux."

His father had never looked more bewildered and shocked than that time, staring at the man, a prince, standing before him with a rigidness of a rock.

"You see," The general continued. "My beloved had actually planned to elope today."

His mother seemed aghast at the partial truth, her hands coming in front of her mouth.

"But I stopped him, told him that this wasn't the best way." Henry was a great actor.

"We love each other very much." He proclaimed.

Now his father glanced at him angrily. He gulped, unsure of what would be his reaction.

"Is this true boy?!"

He flinched at the harsh tone, bowing his head and nodding ever so slightly, his lips parting to release a small 'hn'.

He was just going according to the plan.

The plan of compromise.

The incoming slap to his face was blocked by a strong hand. His father's face was thunderous, Henry's was apologetic.

"Mr. Cailloux, it would be wonderful if you give us your blessings for the wedding." His 'lover' stated. "But please keep in mind, I plan to love, marry and cherish your son, regardless of your decision."

His father snatched his arm back, face flaming with rage.

"First that Louis, now my own son?!"

"Pa-"

"Get out of my sight! No sinner is a son of mine!" He pointed to the door. "I'm not a fool like Desormeaux! I'm not attracted to riches!"

"Very well then." Henry said, his voice awfully calm. "Thank you for your time."

His mother had started crying, she probably wanted to protest, but was afraid to enrage her husband even more.

As Henry grabbed his hand and led him out the door where his bag was resting, tears flowed down his face as he heard his father's faint voice mutter angrily.

"I never expected my own son to become a whore for the royals!"

He let out a sob and tried to hide it from Henry. He did not want to show any weakness, especially to this man, whose tales of bravery were wide known.

Henry picked up his bag and started walking, pulling him along.

"Your father didn't hit me because I'm a royal." He hummed. "I wonder what he would've done if it were Louis."

And now he thanked God that he hadn't been stupid enough to confess his love for Louis in front of his parents.

...

Who else want to be a whore for royals? ^_^

Do you think Victor will warm up soon? Or will Henry give up?

Also, did you like that flashback story? I think it sheds light on Victor's childhood a bit and from where he got his sharp tongue from.

Vote and comment your thoughts!