Strength & Serendipity

"The greatest tragedy of life is not that men perish, but that they cease to love." -W. Somerset Maugham

...

"What did you say, you want to do?"

Henry stared at the stubborn man in front of him, his face stern and eyes almost glaring; he felt like he was on his last nerves with his ex-fiancé. It was too early in the morning for his busy self to be dealing with something like this, and on a hot day too. To add fuel to the fire, his almsmen kept giggling among themselves as they watched the exchange before them, finding the situation hilarious. And didn't Victor sleep until noon usually? Why did he have to come up with a ridiculous plan to annoy and pester him even after Henry had cut ties with him?

His answer was in the question itself.

"I said," Victor gritted his teeth. "I want to join the army." He did not like being treated so lightly.

"You're not built for the army." Henry responded, as calmly as he could, feeling his temper rising steadily. "Stop taking up our training time."

"Why?!" Victor yelled. "On what basis?! And why do you get to decide that?"

"I am Henry Remy, captain of the most skilled army beyond nations." Henry said, his voice booming. "No one, absolutely no one, joins the army without my inspection."

"Oh well, get on with it then!" Victor said petulantly. "I'm a fit young man, if I say so myself. I'll pass your inspection with flying colours."

"No."

"What?! You're being biased to me!" Victor whined at first but quickly gave a sly smirk next. "Or maybe, you'd prefer doing the 'inspection' somewhere more private...?" When he earned several laughs and hoots for his insolent words, he cupped hands over his mouth and mock whispered, "Your bedroom perhaps, captain?"

Henry felt his eyebrow twitch and he closed his eyes in order to gather himself, he felt more angry at himself for getting warm cheeks despite his annoyance. It seemed like Victor still had some effect on him.

"Shut up!" He yelled at his snickering soldiers. Marching right upto Victor and grabbing his collar, he yelled into his face. "And you! Don't think I'll be as kind to you as I once was. Your glory days are over. You're just a guest here now. So stop being a bloody pest!"

But the harsh words had no real effect on Victor as he put his arms around Henry's broad shoulders. "But you're so mesmerizing when you get angry, captain." He voice could almost be mistaken for a cat purring leisurely.

Henry let go of the collar, shrugged off the arms and grabbed Victor's jaw instead. "You can't survive a day on the battlefield, and you won't survive an hour in my bedroom." He would not let Victor have the power over him anymore.

"Is that a promise?" Victor provoked him further.

Henry let go completely. "In your dreams." He turned back to his amused soldiers. "All of you! 10 rounds around the castle, right now!"

Victor could only huff as he watched them all go, the captain leading ahead of them.

...

Victor rapped on the wooden door with his fist. "Louis! Can I come in for a moment?"

He waited for a moment before the door opened and his friend looked at him tiredly. "Victor, it's almost midnight, what happened?"

"Hello Louis, is Benjamin there?"

Louis gave him a confused look and looked back at his husband lounging on the bed "Err, yes he is."

"Perfect!" Victor exclaimed and pushed past Louis to enter the room. He stood before Benjamin who was looking at him in disdain. "Hello Your Majesty!" He reached inside his night robe and pulled out a piece of paper. "Would you mind signing this paper for me?"