The Coronation

"All I needed was the love you gave,
All I needed for another day."

- Only you (13 reasons why) by Selena Gomez

...

Hands held together, the general and his fiancé entered the lavishly decorated hall for the coronation ceremony of their dear Prince, soon to be the king of the nation.

Victor and Henry were dressed in their finest robes today, designed and sewn by the best tailors. Sporting polite smiles on their faces, they moved forward and stood beside the current king, Henry's uncle as they all waited for the main men of the day to arrive. 

Henry's hand was warm in his softer ones. The calloused palm had entwined into his own on the way to Grand hall. It made him feel like someone had thrown his stomach down a deep pit, anxiety bubbling in his mind and although it was starting to show in the form of sweaty palms, it wasn't like he could shrug the hand off in front of so many people. They kept their eyes straight ahead and shoulders broad. Victor could feel Henry glance at him from the corner of his eye a few times but he did not respond.

Many noble women gave Henry appreciative and admiring looks and were probably cursing him in their minds for stealing the eligible bachelor away.

Oh, what a honour.

He could just hope nobody has been creating a plan to have him murdered.

And then, the big moment arrived and the grand doors opened. Everyone stopped their talks as a few hushes went around the hall. Everyone in the hall had their attention on the men that were to enter the room. The children let out excited gasps and the women clasped their hands together. The royal family put on proud smiles, their faces alight with joy. Even Victor looked absolutely mesmerized by the sight.

The Crown Prince entered the hall with a flourish of his royal robes, arms locked with his husband.

The hall was suddenly filled with uncountable sounds of claps as the couple walked down the lush carpet, clad in beautiful robes with colours that complimented each other's. Prince Benjamin, in his navy blue and silver robes, looking as handsome as ever with a charming smile. Louis, in his robes that were white with linings of blue colour and smile that showed his bright white teeth.

Queen Nicola had already let out a few tears and the King looked prouder than ever as they stepped ahead to greet their successors. Victor noticed that Aaron, while looking happy for the couple, grimaces at the sight of King Rémy.

The princes approached the front of the hall where an old minister was waiting for them. Louis and Benjamin looked at each other before unlocking their arms. They then turned to face the man.

"Do you swear to serve the land, with all your heart, and promise to put your people before you, to provide justice and mercy, to be a leader than a ruler, and to be wise in all your decisions?"

Benjamin said in a solid voice, "I swear on my blood."

The old man nodded at them and presented Benjamin with a sceptre, kept on a fluffy pillow.

"I now pronounce you the King of Marais." He announced.

Benjamin took the sceptre with a firm face and turned to face the crowd. The said crowd erupted in applauds once again as the now King raised his sceptre, representing the highest power in the land.

The minister started again, this time to Louis. "And do you, accept your duties as the king's husband and swear to serve the land alongside him, to be a kind person and aid him in all his decisions, to take on his duties in his absence?"

"I do."

It was like their marriage all over again.

"I now pronounce you the Regent King."

The crowd clapped for one last time.

The former King stepped forward and took off his crown, patting his son on the back. Benjamin bowed down and he put the crown on his head. Queen Nicola hugged Louis and kissed his forehead before she too, placed her own crown on his head. The former King and Queen stepped back and allowed the royal couple to face the people. They had genuine smiles on their faces.

King Rémy announced in a pleased voice, "Let the royal dance begin!"

A petite pianist started her job and played a sweet tune.

King Benjamin went first of course, with his husband and the ball had started officially. Henry who had been clapping politely all this time beside him, nudged him and motioned towards the center of the hall, where the couple's were engaged in a slow dance.

"Dance?" He asked, hope dancing in his eyes.

Victor looked away, mostly because those eyes were too genuine.

"I'd rather not." He replied in a small voice and turned away.

His averted eyes caught sight of the royal couple, locked in a dance, gazing into each other's eyes lovingly.

His chest hurt suddenly.

"I need to go." He whispered to Henry and did not have the heart to looked at the dejected expression on his fiancé's face as he turned around to leave.

While keeping his head down and walking away, he glanced at Louis again and saw a big grin on his beloved's face. Louis' probably wouldn't notice his absence till later and it did not matter. He would make up some stupid excuse for his disappearance.

Like he always did.

And despite all his envy and jealousy, he knew deep down in his broken heart, that he would never be able to bring himself to  anything that could wipe that precious, precious smile off that beautiful, beautiful face.

...

Thoughts on this chapter?

Do you think Victor will do something?

Do you feel bad for Henry? Or do you feel bad for Victor? Lemme know!

Vote & Comment!