11

"I don't recognise this part of the forest. You had better lead the way" admitted Tod, as the girls continued to run up hill.
Trixie didn't reply, but she kept forcing her way through the trees.
After a few minutes they began to hear the rush of water. Trixie ran passed a large cave, and began to walk carefully over a fallen log, that crossed a waterfull.
Tod was nervous, as she knew the drop would kill her, but she trusted Trixie. She took a deep breath, and followed Trixie accross the slippery log.

Copper led the way, with his father close behind him, carrying a shotgun. Copper prefered to use other weapons, like knives, the same as his brother.
He heard something moving in the cave in front, and prepared himself for a fight, as this cave had only one opening.
"Good job Copper. We've got them now" praised Amos.
Copper smiled and stepped inside in the cave, but when he saw something that wasn't Tod, be backed out quickly.
"What is it?" Questioned Amos.
His question was answered a second later, when a huge black bear, with red eyes, exited the cave, and let out a deafening growl.

When Tod heard Copper cry out in pain, she stopped in her tracks.
"Why have you stopped? We need to keep going" panted Trixie.
Tod nodded and carried on moving, but when she heard Copper cry out again, she turned right around.
"I have to go" informed Tod.
"Are you made? They want us dead"
"Well, they want me dead to be honest, they don't really care about you. They are the hunters from my home, they've followed me here"
"Then why on earth would you go back"
"Copper was my friend. Before all this started, we got along fine. And I can't let him die"
"What if it's a trap?"
"Then that's a risk I will just have to take".

The bear knocked Copper against a large stone, with his paw, causing blood to flow from Copper's forehead.
The bear then turned on Amos, who fumbled with his shots, in fear. He stepped backwards, and began to fall down part of the cliff, losing his shotgun on the way.
As he landed on firm ground, his foot got caught in one of his own traps, causing him to cry out in pain.
As the bear stepped towards his father, Copper jumped up, and stapped it in the leg.
The bear roared, and swipped at him again, knocking him to the ground. It then began to make its way towards him, but Copper had no strength left to stand.
The bear raised its huge paw, but before it could strike, Tod jumped into the fight, using a broken sharp stick, as a weapon.

Tod stabbed the stick into the bears back, causing it to cry out again. Leaving the stick inside the bear, Tod jumped down, but now she was weaponless.
She looked down at the knives around Copper's belt, that were meant to kill her, and shook the thought from her mind.
"Copper, give me a Knife, so I can kill the bear" she demanded.
Copper was woozy, and very concused, due to his head injuries.
"You're here" he mumbled.
"Yes, I came back. Now give me a weapon"
"I'm sorry"
"I'm sure you are, but we aren't out of the woods yet. We've still got a bear to fight"
"There's something I've been wanting to do for a while, and I want to do it, in case I die"
"And what's that?"
"I want to kiss you".

Tod was stunned. Not long ago, Copper had been trying to kill her, and now he wanted to kiss her.
"I don't think now is the time or the place" admitted Tod.
"But I want to do it before we die" replied Copper.
"Well, try not to die, and then you can kiss me".
Tod snatched two knives from Copper's belt, and ran back into the fight.
She slid underneath the bear, slashing it's belly, with her knife, trying to keep it away from Copper, who still couldn't stand.
Amos was out of sight, and Tod had no idea where he was, but at that moment, she didn't care. All that mattered was killing the bear, and protecting Copper.