10

Trixie and Tod were taking a stroll through the woods at the back of the safe haven, which made Tod feel more at home. She had been sleeping in Trixie's house for a few nights, and was beginning to feel more comfortable there.
But she missed home a lot. Especially since Big Mama had gone home the day before, leaving her with Trixie.
As the girls made their way down the path that led back to the villiage, Trixie suddenly stopped.
"What is it Trixie?" Questioned Tod.
"Listen" hissed Trixie.
"I don't hear anything"
"That's the problem. It's too quiet".

"Too quiet? Since when has that been a problem?" Quizzed Tod.
Trixie looked down the path. "Tod I don't like it. Something feels wrong".
Tod shook her head. "Look, I'll go first, if you're scared".
"Please be careful"
"Always am".
Tod started out with confidence, but when she was halfway through the path, she began to get an odd feeling. Trixie was right. There was no bird song, or animal noises, like there usually were in the forest at that time of day.
Tod heard a strange clicking noise, and she stopped in her tracks. It sounded like a gun being loaded.

Amos held his gun tightly, waiting for Tod to get a little closer. She had somehow been able to miss all the traps he had placed around the floor.
But that didn't matter. When he shot her, that would be enough to kill her, stone dead.

Tod saw a piece of metal to the left of her foot, so she bent down and removed the leaves around it carefully.
Her heart went cold when she saw the hunters trap on the floor. She began to wonder how many other traps were on the floor around her.
Trixie had begun to walk towards her, and Tod quickly raised her hand, warning her not to come any further.
When Tod heard a twig snap a few meters to her right, she turned and ran. Grabbing Trixie's arm on the way, and pulling them both to safety.
Gunshots went off behind them, but they didn't stop to look back, they kept on running.

"We need to head back to the villiage" instructed Trixie.
"No. Then we would bring the killers there, and they could kill everyone" replied Tod.
"You're right"
"Trixie, you know this area best. Where can we hide?"
"I know a place. Follow me".
Trixie began to lead Tod up hill, towards the caves. When they reached a large one, Trixie crawled through the opening on her stomach, and Tod was right behind her.
Once inside, Trixie rolled a stone over the enterance, covering the hole.

"Is that the only way in?" Whispered Tod.
Trixie shook her head, and pointed behind them.
"You can exit through the back, but the hole is only big enough for someone our size or smaller to use. No hunter would fit through there. Besides, it's only an exit, not an enterance, you can't really get in from the outside, because of the way the cave is formed" she answered.
Tod took hold of Trixie's hands, to stop them from shaking.
"Hey. We are going to be O.K. You'll see" Tod whispered Supportively.
"Why aren't you as scared as me?" Asked Trixie.
"Lets just say, this isn't my first time being chased by men who want to kill me".

"They're in there" revealed Copper, pointing down at the hole, he watched Tod crawl into.
"Well, if we can't get in there. We will just have to make them come out" replied Amos.
Copper nodded.
Amos removed a lighter from his pocket.
"Wait here Copper" he instructed.
Amos went around to the other side of the cave, and started picking up some dry grass, and small twigs. He arranged them around the hole, then lit a fire using his lighter.
"They'll have to come out now. Or they'll choke to death. Or be burned alive" said Amos cheerfully, as he made his way back over to Copper, and pointed his gun at the hole.

Tod had flinched when she heard Copper speak about her, with such hatred. He had once been her best friend.
"Tod. I'm scared" spluttered Trixie.
Tod choked on the smoke. The cave was filling up fast, and they were running out of air.
"We've only got one chance. And it's a bit mad... Be quick, and follow me" ordered Tod.
Trixie coughed and nodded.
Tod ran towards the flames, covering her face with her arm, and pushing herself out through the hole, with Trixie right behind her.
"I don't believe it" exclaimed Amos, as he watched the girls escape from the other hole, and run off into the woods.