9

Big Mama was panting heavily when she reached the safe haven for coloured people. When she found out Widow Tweed had taken Tod here, she left immideatly to find the poor girl, and comfort her.
It was early morning, and the town was starting to swarm with people. Big Mama saw a girl with large frizzy hair, and thought she had found her.
"Tod" she called out.
The girl turned around, and smiled when she saw Big Mama, but she was not Tod.
"Hi Big Mama. I missed you" she said cheerfully.

"Oh it's you Trixie" exclaimed Big Mama, as Trixie made her way over.
"It's good to see you again. What are you doing here so early? And why do you seem so out of breath?" Asked Trixie.
"I'm looking for another girl. She's about your age, and she arrived here last night, all alone. You haven't seen her, have you?"
"No. I haven't seen anyone new this morning"
"That's a shame. She's had a tricky few days, and I really need to find her"
"Well I'm not doing anything. Maybe I can help you"
"Sweetheart, you just made my day".
Trixie smiled and began to walk beside Big Mama, as the two searched the town for Tod.

Tod was cold and wet, as it had rained heavily in the night, and she had had to sleep on the floor. She had made her bed in between two grey dustbins, and used the clothes her mother had packed, as a pillow.
Even though she had never had many friends, she had never felt as alone as she did there and then.
Her mother had dropped her off, then turned and walked off. Leaving her alone.
"Tod... Tod" called a voice.
Tod stuck her head out of her hole, and saw Big Mama coming towards her, with a young girl at her side.

Tod jumped up and ran towards them, throwing herself into Big Mama's arms, and crying into her shoulder.
"There there deary. It's alright now. Big Mama's here" soothed Big Mama.
Tod released her, wiping her tears away with her hands.
"Tod, this is Trixie. She's lived here all her life. Why don't you say hello" continued Big Mama.
"Hello" mumbled Tod shyly.
This was the first time she had ever seen a girl who looked like her, as she had never seen a young black girl before. So she was nervous, and didn't know how to react.

"It's nice to meet you Tod" said Trixie politely.
"Well, I'm going to get a hot drink. Trixie, why don't you show Tod around" suggested Big Mama.
"Of course Big Mama. Follow me Tod, I just know you are going to love it here
"How old are you?" Asked Tod, as the pair began to walk away from Big Mama.
"I'm 16. Big Mama says that you're 15"
"Yes, I am... Where do you live?"
"I have my own house, where I sleep. It only has one room, but it's enough for me"
"Oh"
"You're welcome to stay with me, until you find a place of your own. You can sleep on my sofa"
"Thank you Trixie".

2 days later
Amos and Copper watched the secure compound, that had fencing all around it, as they plotted their route in.
"Eugh, just look at all those negros. But we must try to blend in, if we don't want to get caught" complained Amos.
Copper nodded, and pulled up his scarf, so that it obstructed most of his face.
Then the pair made their way over to the fence, and Amos removed the wire cutters from his pocket.
A sign on the fence read 'No Hunting' and Amos chuckled, as he cut the wire.
"No hunting. Well we aren't going to do any of that are we Copper? We are just going to catch ourselves one little negro, and then we will be gone".