8

The next morning, Tweed told Tod that they were going on an outing, and packed a case for the trip. Tod was thrilled to be in the safety of the car. Her mother never took her on trips out, as she knew it wasn't safe.
But now it wasn't safe at home. So Tod was happy to get to spend some time away from her home.
Although still upset by the events the night before, Tod enjoyed the ride through the countryside. The ride took most of the day, and the sun had begun to set, by the time they reached their destination.
"Where are we mum?" Tod asked.
She got out of the car, and for the first time in her life, she saw that everyone around her, had the same colour skin as her.

"Tod. I may have raised you. But you were never mine. You were abandoned on my doorstep as a baby" said Tweed sadly.
"I know. You told me before. But that doesn't make you any less my mum" replied Tod.
"No. But you are all grown up now, and you don't need me"
"That's not true"
"Tod, I need you to listen to me. It is no longer safe for you to live with me. Amos Slade will never stop trying to kill you, if you are with me.
Which is why I've brought you here. You will be safe here, with your own people. This area is protected, and hunting is illigal here, so Amos can't hurt you".

"I don't understand" mumbled Tod.
Tweed stepped towards her, and hugged her tight, as the tears streamed down her cheeks.
"Be safe Tod. Be strong. I know you will be brilliant" cried Tweed, as she pushed Tod away and made her way back to her car.
Tod tried to follow, but her mother shook her head.
"No. You have to stay here" she commanded.
Tweed turned the ignition, and drove off. Leaving Tod with nothing more than a small suitcase.
"Mother! Come back" she begged, screaming through the tears.
Tod collapsed to the floor, as she felt her heart get removed from her body. The only person who had ever loved her, had just left her alone, in a strange place.
She looked around, and saw that the street was empty, everyone had gone back to their homes. And Tod had nowhere to go.

Amos watched as Tweed's car pulled into her drive, and she got out alone, still crying.
He scratched his chin, as he made his way back inside.
Copper was sitting at the table, in the kitchen, feeling like a fool. If hadn't of let Tod go, then his brother wouldn't have got hurt.
"Copper. I've got plan" said Amos, as he walked into the room.
Copper sat up in her chair, "What's the plan?".
Amos laid a map onto the table, and held it open with a paper weight.
"I think she's dropped the negro off at one of the safe zones, for coloured people" he revealed.

"Where would she take her?" Asked Copper.
"This is the closest one. So I can assume she took her here. As the others would take days to travel to"
"If she's in a safe zone, then how do we get her?"
"I think we are going to need to come up with a good plan over the next few days, to get our revenge for your brother".
Copper looked over at his brother in the next room, asleep on the sofa, covered in bandages. Then he looked back to his father and nodded.
"Lets do it".