3

8 years later

Tod watched her mother milk the cows, and sighed.
"I'm bored" she complained.
Widow Tweed chuckled. "Well why don't you go out and play?".
"Playing by myself is no fun"
"You could play an exploring game, and pretend you are off on an adventure"
"Can I?"
"As long as your promise not to go too far off into the woods"
"I promise"
"Good. Oh, and try to stay out of trouble".
Tod jumped up and hugged her mother.
"Thanks Ma. I'll be good, I promise".
Tweed pattered her arm, and a second later she was gone.

Tod loved the forest, she loved to explore and be among all the animals. She also loved to hang out with her grown up friends, who were sometimes about, in their caravan. Dinky and Boomer was always playing jokes on each other, and Big Mama told great stories.
When Tod arrived she saw Dinky and Boomer arguing in a tree, and Big Mama was no where to be found.
"Hey guys. Whatcha doing?" Asked Tod curiously.
"Shhhhhh. We are taking part in a very serious activity" snapped Dinky.
"What's that?" Whispered Tod.
"We're trying to catch this little catapillar for breakfast, but we can't seem to reach him" replied Boomer.
Tod retched. "Eugh. A catapillar for breakfast. Yuck".
The idea disgusted her, so she left them to it, and carried on exploring.

A few minutes later she came accross a large fallen tree, lying on the forest floor.
"Wow" she exclaimed, as she made her way inside.
When she was half way in, she heard a noise above her, which scared her. She began to tiptoe to the other side of the log, as quietly as she could.
But before she reached the end, a face suddenly appeared in front of her.
"Ah!" The face screamed and dissappeared from view.
Tod ran out to look, and she saw a boy, who looked a similar age to her, sitting on top of the log.
"Hello. I'm Tod. Sorry if I scared you" apologised Tod.
The boy jumped down of the log to greet her.
"You didn't scare me, I just didn't know you were there. My name's Copper" he said.

"Nice to meet you Copper. What are you doing out here?" Tod asked.
"I went for a walk in the woods. My dad is gonna be cross when he finds out though" answered Copper.
"Don't worry about that. Hey, do you wanna play a game?"
"Sure"
"Lets play hide and seek. I'll hide first while you count. You can use that log to lean on".
Copper nodded and began to count, and slowly turn his head back round to look at Tod.
"No Copper, you can't peak" snapped Tod.
"Oh" mumbled Copper. Who began to count again, facing the log this time.

Tod ran off and found a large tree stump, that she climbed on top of. It enabled her to look down at Copper as he tried to find her.
When he looked in the bushes near her, she couldn't help but giggle, giving herself away.
"This is fun, we should do this every day" commented Tod.
Copper nodded. "This is much more fun than being at home".
The pair continued playing for another hour, bursting into laughter when Copper got stuck in a hole trying to find Tod. But they stopped when they heard shouting.
"Copper!".
"That sounds like my dad. He sounds awful mad. I better go" trembled Copper.
"Ah really? But we've having so much fun" complained Tod.
"I had better go. He can get really angry sometimes"
"O.K. But come back tomorrow. Meet me down at the lake, then we can go swimming"
"I will. Bye Tod"
"Bye Copper".