4

The next day, Tod met Copper at the lake in the woods, where the two began to play, splashing water at each other, and jumping in, making large splashes.
But once again their fun was ruined by the arrival of Amos.
The pair agreed to meet up together the next day, but when Copper didn't show, Tod went searching for her best friend.
Her mother always told her to stay away from Amos's land. But she wanted to see her friend, so Tod ignored her mothers warning.

Tod approached the old house, walking quietly passed Chief, who was asleep in his chair, with a hat over his eyes.
She looked up and saw Copper on the balcony on the second floor, looking bored. Being a great climber, Tod climbed up the drain pipe to see Copper.
"What are you doing here?" Whispered Copper, nervously looking at his brother down below.
"When you didn't show up, I came to find you. Why didn't you come?" Asked Tod.
"My dad got angry with me for leaving. So he locked me in my room"
"Oh. Well we will just have to play here"
"No. You'll wake Chief up"
"Ah Chief. He doesn't scare me"
"You have to be careful Tod. He might hurt you".

Tod looked over shoulder and chuckled as Chief began to mumble in his sleep.
"Ha. Sounds like he's chasing something in his dreams".
"Please go Tod. It's not safe here" begged Copper.
"You're no fun" sighed Tod, swinging herself of the bannister.
As he foot hit the drainpipe, it made a loud clang.
"Shh, be quiet" hissed Copper.
"Sorry" replied Tod, as she jumped down.

As she turned to go, she saw the Chief was no longer asleep. He stared at her for a moment, before pushing himself off his chair, and withdrawing his knife.
"Dad! Dad. There's a negro in our garden" he shouted.
"Run Tod! Run" yelled Copper.
Tod didn't need to be told twice. She ran off in the opposite direction of Chief, as fast as she could.
Chief began to chase her around the garden, until she came accross a fence, stopping her in her tracks. Having no choice, Tod began to climb the chicken fence, as quickly as she could.
When she dropped down into the chicken coup, Amos opened his front door, and began fireing his shot gun at her.

Luckily he was quite far away, and missed. Tod ran to the opposite fence, climbing out of the chicken run, and into the forest, with Chief at her tail.
Tod was small and light, was enabled her to move through the forest much quicker than Chief. Unfortunatley she took a wrong turn, and began to head towards the road, instead of her house.
When she heard the sound of her mothers motor car, she thanked God that it was milk day, and her mother was off to market. She ran out into the road, and began to chase after her mothers car.
Once she caught up with it, she jumped into the back, with the milk, as she heard the sounds of gunshots behind her. Amos had got in his own car, and was beginning to chase after her.

When Widow Tweed her the sounds of gunshots hit her milk jars, she slammed on her brakes, forcing Amos to do the same.
She then got out of car, and stood in front of the back of her car, with her arms folded.
Once Amos's car had stopped, she marched over to him, and conviscated his gun.
When she pointed it at him, he raised his arms.
"Careful, that things loaded" he warned.
Tweed turned and pointed it at the front of his car, and fired. She then threw it back at him.
"Now it's not" she snapped.
Amos looked at his car, which was now beginning to hiss and smoke.
"My radiator. Why you bleeding female..."
"Yes? I wouldn't finish that sentence if I were you.
Care to tell me why you were firing at me?"
"Your damn savage was after my chickens"
"Oh poppy cock. She wouldn't hurt a thing"
"Are you calling me a liar?".

"Amos Slade, that temper is going to get you into a lot of trouble one day" scolded Tweed.
"Temper? Temper? Woman you ain't seen my temper" shouted Amos, thowing his hat to the floor and stamping on it.
"If that Negro comes onto my land again I'll shoot it. And this time I won't miss".