6

7 years later

Tod had just finished collecting the eggs one morning, when she saw smoke coming through the trees. She ran back inside, to speak to her mother, who was just making breakfast.
"Mother I saw smoke in the trees. Is it...?"
"Yes Tod. Big Mama and her companions arrived earlier this morning while you were still asleep" interupted Tweed.
"Can I go and see them?"
"Not just yet. Eat your breakfast first, then you can go over and say hello"
"O.K. It's been 5 years, since they left to go travelling. I wonder if they will recognise me"
"I'm sure they will. Even though you have changed a lot. Now eat up, then you can go and see them".

After breakfast, Tod put on her favourite dress, and made her way her way into the woods, to see her old friends. When she arrived, Dinky and Boomer were squabbling as usual, and Big Mama was washing up in a large pot.
"Hi guys" said Tod, excitedly.
They all stood up, and stared at her for a moment, before appoaching.
"This isn't the same little squirt we found in the tree all those years ago is it?" Questioned Dinky.
Big Mama opened her arms, giving her a big hug.
"I missed you sweatheart"
"I missed you too, Big Mama".
Boomer began to play with Tod's large afro hair.
"So grown up, and such beautiful bushy hair" he commented.
"Alright stop it. You two were always teasing me. I see nothings changed".

The group was interupted by the sound of a car on the nearby road. So they all made their way over, to see what was going on.
Amos Slade and his sons were driving along, singing an old western song, at the top of their lungs.
Tod only had eyes for Copper. He had grown much more handsome over the years. And had become a strong, good looking young man.
"Wow. Copper has really grown" muttered Tod.
Big Mama folded her arms. "Ah ha. And look at those weapons around his belt. He's not the same boy you knew".
"I know Big Mama. He's a hunter now... But I've got to see him. I've got to know for sure"
"And what are you going to do if you run into the others?"
"I'll go when Chief and the old man are asleep. I will be fine".

That night, once her mother was asleep, Tod crept out of the house, and onto the land next door. She made sure that Amos was inside, before crossing the boarder, to find Copper.
She found him sitting in a deck chair, beside his brother, with a drink in his hand. Tod stopped for a moment, but carried on, once she realised Chief was asleep.
"Pst. Copper" whispered Tod.
Copper looked up, when he saw her coming towards him.
"Tod? Is that you?" He asked.
"Yeah, it's me"
"Wow. You've grown"
"You have too Copper"
"Look Tod. I'm really excited to see you, but you've got to get out of here. What if my dad sees you"
"I know it's dangerous. But I had to see you... We are still friends, aren't we?".

"I missed you Tod. But I'm a hunter now. And you'd better get out of here before old Chief wakes up" hissed Copper.
"Ah Chief. He doesn't scare me" replied Tod.
"I'm serious Tod. If he sees you on our land. He'll kill you".
Tod opened her mouth to reply, but suddenly Chief began to stir, and he jumped out of his chair, knife in hand.
"Dad! Come quick. The negro is back" he shouted.
"Run Tod?" Whispered Copper.
Tod didn't need to be told twice, she ran off into the forest behind her. With Amos, Chief, Copper, and the hounds, at her heels.
Widow Tweed was woken by all the barking, and made her way outside. After realising that her daughter wasn't in the house, she gasped.
"Oh no. They're after Tod!".