Prologue

Adrinna ran as fast as she could, holding her baby girl to her chest. She should have known better. She should never have tried to steal food from the white man.
As Adrinna stopped to catch her breath, she heard the sounds of dogs behind her. The dogs could smell her from miles away, and they were closely followed by their masters. The white men.

Adrinna began to run again, scared for her and her child's life. If the men caught up with her they would kill the both of them. She couldn't let them hurt her little Rose. Her daughter meant the world to her, and she would do anything to protect her.

As she ran throught the forest, she began to realise that she would never be able to outrun the men and their dogs. Stopping by a large tree, Adrinna began to climb up. She rested her baby safely in the tree, praying that she would find her again and take her somewhere safe.

As the dogs got closer, Adrinna kissed her daughters head, and jumped out of the tree. She continued to run for her life, trying to lead them away from her child. Gunshots sounded and Adrinna swore. The men were closer than she thought.

A few minutes later and the hounds had surrounded her. They growled threateningly, and barked for their masters. Adrinna heard the men before she saw them. Footsteps sounded and a single gunshoot ran out. She felt the pain in her upper thigh and fell to the ground.

A pool of blood began to form around her, despite her efforts to put pressure on the wound. She looked up at the 5 men in front of her, one of them had crouched down to get a better look at her. Their expressions were hard, and Adrinna knew her death was imminent. She just prayed that someone would find her baby Rose, and care for her. Adrinna closed her eyes and waited for the inevitable.

Two more shots ran out, and Adrinna grew still.