1

A gypsy woman, named Big Mama was travelling through the forest, with her companions, Dinky and Boomer. Boomer was tall and very thin, and his friend Dinky was short, and rather plump.
They had just parked their caravan in the forest where they planned to stay for a while. The woman who owned the land, was called Widow Tweed, and she had given them permission to stay there. She was a kind woman who wasn't prejudice towards people of colour.
It was hard to find people like her. It was even harder to find a safe place to live, outside of special towns made for coloured people. The towns were protected by fencing, and were a safe place to live, if you didn't mind life in a cage. Big Mama, Boomer, and Dinky prefered to travel and see the world.
Big Mama and the boys skin was very dark, making them a big target to white men. But Big Mama didn't let that stop her being a kind, happy person. The boys were very silly, and they were constently arguing, trying to outdo each other, but they were very close really.

"Shouldn't we unpack first Big Mama?" Asked Boomer.
"We can do that later boys. We should explore the area first. Just to make sure it really is safe" replied Big Mama.
"Oh, good idea Big Mama. That was just what I was thinking" said Dinky.
Boomer pushed Dinky. "No you weren't".
"I was too" replied Dinky.
"Come on boys lets get going" interupted Big Mama.
The boys stopped arguing and began to follow Big Mama through the woods.

After a few minutes they began to hear the sound of a baby crying. They followed the sound and came accross a baby in a tree. Big Mama didn't think she would make it up, so she sent Boomer.
"By careful" she advised.
"Oh sure Big Mama" replied Boomer as he climbed up the tree.
"You were right Big Mama, it's a baby. Poor little gal, she's all alone" he continued.
"Well bring her down quickly, but be careful" replied Big Mama.

Once down on the ground, Boomer handed the baby to Big Mama, who craddled the child.
"The poor thing. I wonder where her mother is. Hmm. She's going to need someone to look after her" said Big Mama sadly.
Dinky began jumping up and down excitedly. "I know. I know".
"What is it Dinky?" Asked Big Mama.
Dinky began whispering his plan in her ear.
"Good idea" said Big Mama, nodding.
"What? What's the plan?" Questioned Boomer.
"We are going to give her to Widow Tweed. I know that she will care for the child. She has no children of her own. And I know that she is very lonely" explained Big Mama.

The three made their way towards the Widow's cottage, holding the baby tight, to keep her warm.
"How are we going to do this Big Mama?" Asked Boomer.
"We are going to leave the baby in her front garden. But close enough to the house, so that Widow Tweed can hear the baby's cries" answered Big Mama.
"Oo. Good idea" replied Boomer.
As the approached the cottage, they made sure that no one was looking, and placed the baby down gently on the grass.
They quickly ran back into the woods, so that they couldn't be seen, but they kept a close eye on the house at all times.

It took several minutes before the baby began to cry, and it didn't take long for Widow Tweed to hear. She came out of her house, and began to look around for the cause of the crying.
She gasped when she saw the child all alone.
"Oh, you poor thing" muttered Tweed.
She bent down and picked up the child, looking around for the baby's mother.
"I wonder where the mother is... Well I can't leave you out here all alone" she said.
Widow Tweed then took the child into her own home.

"We did it" said Boomer.
"Yes. I'm glad. I'm sure they will make each other very happy. Widow Tweed will not be bothered by the child's skin. She is a rare, kind person. I wish there were more like her in the world" replied Big Mama.
"What now Big Mama?" Asked Dinky.
"Now, we go back home. We will watch the child grow. And make sure that she is safe and happy" Big Mama answered.
Dinky and Boomer nodded and turned away, making their way back to the caravan.
"Good luck little one" whispered Big Mama, before she too, turned away.