Thorny cactus

•••song; Soy infeliz- Lola Beltrán •••

Starting a new school with people I have no clue who they are and with people who think they know me is going to be a lot harder than I imagine

I mentally prepared myself to think and look like her as I look at pictures that are placed all over the house and trying to practice her smile and her posture the best way I can.

As my 'new' Madre (mother) makes her way down the dirt road on the way to school, this is nothing like the ones in California; it's a broken down white concrete place with green and white discoloration.
A broken down concrete building with windows that seem to be out of shape. Paint that seem to be flaking off with four different coats of colors.
As I walk closer to the building that seems more like a dungeon than school, I spot the long hair hot boy standing around with a bunch of girls.
They all giggle stare at each other as his arms wraps around two of the girls shoulders.
I can't help but to feel jealousy run through my body; I'm jealous of Roberta for having him, jealous at this imperfect little life she has but mostly jealous at all the girls around Hector.

My eyes can't seem to look away from him,  it's like his a car wreck that just happened and I'm just trying to pass by.
Without much of hesitation, I made impact right into a fucking wall and fall on my ass.

Everyone stops to point and laugh at me, fucking great. I quickly try to collect myself when I hear someones voice above me, "Shit, are you okay?"

I look up to see a body with the sun shining behind him nothing but a black silhouette. As he extends his hands out to help me up, I came within inches of a face with the most amazing baby blue eyes. "Hmm Yes Thank You." I spill words out of embarrassment, he lets go of the most beautiful smile, "Hola, my name is Luke."

Fuck if I thought Hector was Hot, Luke is a Greek god.
Long wavy dirty blonde hair with the hint of brown highlights, chiseled sharp jawline and those bright blue eyes I can stare at for hours and days at a time.

As a pendejá I look back to Hector to see if he even notices I fell down, he was too busy whisper away into some girl's ear.

"You know I wouldn't worry about him, come I'll help you to your class, I can tell your new."

I held my bag tightly around my chest I felt like my heart was going to exploded out of embarrassment, "What is a gringo like you doing in a school like this? Shouldn't you be like in private school?"
I have no idea why those words seem to just blurred out. He just seem not to fit in like most of us in this place.

"Who said I was a Gringo?"
He let go of a small smirk with a soft laugh. Then we laugh together, this boy is Gringo and anyone can see that. He stood out like a wildflower in a thorny cactus bush. His light skin with tight Wagner jeans with expensive cowboy boots and not to mention the unforgettable blue eyes, yea he didn't seem to fit in at all.

I couldn't help to smile at his brightest smile filled with the whiteness straight teeth I've ever seen. He has a picture perfect smile like those corny toothpaste commercials of two guys playing football and they get dirty but when they smile it shines ..
Yea those corny commercials that rerun in my mind as I'm standing before him.

"Are you ok? .....Sorry I didn't catch your name?"

I look down I don't want to say Roberta to the only boy seems not to know me but what the fuck can I do? "Roberta." I said the name with harsh and embarrassment tone.
"Robert—ÁÁhh." He tried to say with my Spanish accent but his gringo dialect just came out with it, "You say you're not a Gringo." I laugh at him, "Hey my mother is Mexican but my father is a Texan White country boy, Can't help it that it comes out sometimes." We both laugh at his own way of defending himself.

"Come this is your first class is here with Mrs. Martinez. Watch out for her, she's mean. Rumor has it she used to be a nun but screw around. But for the most part, shes a great lit teacher. Good Luck."

He left me there and quickly walked away I couldn't help to stare at the way he wore perfectly tight jeans.

I was caught staring at this boy when a loud smack noise makes me jump, "MISS MONTEMAYOR !"
I turn to see Mrs. Martinez with her arms across and the ruler in her hand, standing waiting for my next move.
Great way to leave the first impression, I'm fuck.

During lunch, I can tell was going to be more than I can handle, grabbing my tray with school food as I march down what almost seems like the walk of shame into a room full of students with their own groups

As I make my way down the middle everyone just stares at me when I see the gringo with bright blue eyes stand up with waving at me, I can't help to turn around to see he's waving behind me but nope.
My walking seem to have slowed down as I get closer to him and sit in his table as he introduces me to his friends, his tone of his voice seems to be too cheerful more than I can even bear. Part of me wants to be like him- happy go lucky.